Tax Fonciere unexplained rise

Hello. Does anyone have any tips on how we can check how our Tax Fonciere has been calculated? It has jumped this year by almost 70% and looking at the reverse of the bill, it looks like a second property has been added. My French is poor, so I can’t phone the office to ask anything, and there doesn’t seem to be an email address. I prefer email as I can use Google translate to help!

We have owned the house for 4 years. This is the first year it has increased so much. Our house is an ancient village house, that protrudes from the medieval walls of the village and is attached to two other houses.

I wondered if the ‘base’ figure given on the reverse is based on square meters of the property?

Any help very much appreciated.

hello @Helen32 and welcome…

Your Mairie will be able to explain the Bill to you…
ask them if a 2nd property has been added…
ask them why such a huge increase…

have the Bill with you and, if necessary, prepare your questions in French, on a piece of paper

1 Like

You may find this reference helpful

If this is your main residence, note that Tax d’Habitation is being phased out. Is it surprising then that Tax Foncière will increase marginally?

2 Likes

In some places la taxe foncière has gone through the roof, and as you say, most admit that it’s due to the phasing out of la taxe d’habitation, although the rise in question does seem to be way over that. :thinking:

1 Like

the increases have been outlined/discussed back in September

A additional building is disconcerting… unless something was previously undeclared ???
but needs investigation… as might well be an error.

1 Like

Actually… @Helen32 … we don’t know if this is your main residence or holiday home…
either way, you should be able to check last year’s Bill aganst this years’…
going down the columns, comparing line by line…

take it slowly and tranlate as you go… few folk find these things easy, just take your time.

@Helen32 This might help you to understand

If you view in Google you can have it translated into English and then flip back into the original French to highlight-copy-paste questions into an email or Word document for your Mairie visit.

Good luck!

@Stella is (as always) correct -

“L’augmentation de la taxe foncière résulte de deux phénomènes conjoints. Le premier est une revalorisation des bases locatives cadastrales de 3,4%, servant de base au calcul de l’impôt local. A cela s’ajoute une hausse des taux de taxe foncière votés par certaines communes, afin - notamment - de compenser les pertes de recettes résultant de la disparition de la taxe d’habitation portant sur la résidence principale.

Actée dans le cadre du projet de loi de finances 2020, une réforme plus profonde des bases locatives cadastrales doit être mises en œuvre. Ses premiers effets sont attendus en 2026. Ce projet conduit à une revalorisation des bases locatives, celles-ci ayant été calculées en fonction des conditions du marché immobilier locatif en France, dans les années 1970. Il devrait donc se traduire par une hausse d’impôt local pour les propriétaires immobiliers.

Translation:

“The increase in the property tax is the result of two joint phenomena. The first is a revaluation of the cadastral rental bases of 3.4%, used as a basis for calculating the local tax. In addition, the property tax rates voted by certain municipalities have been increased in order to compensate for the loss of revenue resulting from the disappearance of the housing tax on the principal residence.

A more thorough reform of the cadastral rental bases is to be implemented as part of the 2020 finance bill. Its first effects are expected in 2026. This project will lead to a revaluation of the rental bases, which were calculated according to the conditions of the rental property market in France in the 1970s. It should therefore result in an increase in local taxes for property owners.”

Usually the local news publishes a report of the council meeting at which the rate for this year’s property taxes are set. This is usually around June or thereabouts. If major changes are made especially in an upwards direction it usually sparks some fuss and Letters to the Editor because it affects all property owners. It is worth having a google to see if you can find any discussion.

check your payment date

@Helen32
check this year’s Bill… buildings are listed, and charges/values for 2021 and 2022…
if you’ve only 1 property only the first “Adresse” box should be completed and the 2nd Adresse box left empty

1 Like

I received a Foncières bill recently for my property I sold in February (yes I know I was owner on Jan 1st) and the amount to be paid is €727 MORE than I paid this time last year. It appears that all the work the new owners have done/applied to do has been attributed down to me and that they should be paying such a large bill. The local Impôts up there are trying to sort it out but say I am exonerated anyway due to the level of my income etc. Honestly, I just have no confidence in anyone working in offices any more, all they do is make errors, have no idea what is going on or send stuff to wrong address after repeatedly being notified by letter and phone of change of address etc.

I thought that there was an arrangement whereby (realising you were the owner on Jan 1st) that the outgoing owner could portion their bill not attributable to their ownership to the incoming owner under an arrangement organised by the notaire as part of the sale process?

Yes, I thought that arrangement normally applied to TF - TdH being paid by whoever is “in residence” on Jan 1 (which evens out as, if you move on Jan 2, you get a whole year “for free” at your new address but likewise pay your buyer’s TdH for the same duration).

1 Like

back to your Notaire without delay… and get this sorted… you are only liable for your “bit” until you sold…

The new owners should be billed/pay for their “portion”
cheers

I already got a refund from him after moving downhere. The impôts are sorting it out as its to do with extension works the new owners are doing/completed and not me. I have the right to be exonerated anyway but never used that because I paid less than €300/year and wanted to contribute to my commune and some of the questions were very intrusive too, I couldn’t be bothered. Seems the common response so far is that they have not changed the name of the owners as even my husband is onthe ownership and he has not been on there for ten years.

If no-one bothers… these mistakes continue… it won’t take long to sort out… be brave, but get it done… in your own best interests…

Well I totally refuse to pay any portion of the higher bill, it is not my doing they have done works to the property well after they bought it and then expect me to pay part of their bill. If its two months of what I would have paid if I was still there then I could afford it as it would be less than €50. I got a refund already from the Notaire a couple of weeks from signing the contract of sale. Yes I want it sorted because the deadline of Oct 15th looms and you know the fisc, send the heavies in or take direct from your bank account - well they will only get some moths and few pence there!

speak with your Notaire… he would have notified the Taxe folk that the property had changed hands… ask for his help/advice

ah! That would explain it.
The new owner didn’t waste any time getting his plans approved, built and into the tax system then… impressive!