Taxes Foncieres

Could anyone explain how Taxes Foncieres are calculated please? Received ours which is slightly less than last year but 200 euros higher than a friends property which is larger and has considerably more land. Also higher than a house up the lane which again is larger and has more land. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

This page seems to be a reasonable explanation https://www.pap.fr/patrimoine/impots-taxes/tout-sur-la-taxe-fonciere/a1784/comment-est-calculee-la-taxe-fonciere

This is not an easy task as there are so many variables.
It could well be that other properties seemingly larger are declared to the fisc as comprising only one room whereas in reality, overtime, they have been extended in to the grange without anyone notifying the authorities.
This gnerally only comes to the notice of the authorities on a change of ownership when the ubiquitous for H1 is sent to the new owner who (honestly) declares all the rooms, bathrooms. toilets etc and then gets stung with a humongous bill for TF.
The size of the land is often of little significance and doesn’t add much to the overall bill. You can see how much you pay for the land by referring to the calculations included with your bill “non batiment”.
It is not the same as the UK where properties are ‘banded’.
If your bill is reasonable and manageable, I’d keep your head down and be grateful. Telling the fisc that your bill is higher than a neighbours is not likely to win you any favours (except with the fisc) :wink:

Hmmm, don’t remember getting a form when we bought our house.

Think I will go for the keeping my head down approach - at least until we have extended into the garage.

Someone - not us but probably the last owner - installed a double-glazed patio door where the original garage door was so it can’t be used as a garage any more, but isn’t living space at present.

Sending the H1 on change of ownership might be a more recent innovation.

With regard to the sliding door, that could be an interesting issue.

We have similar but did not declare the room as habitable on H1.

Sending the H1 on change of ownership might be a more recent innovation.

With regard to the sliding door, that could be an interesting issue.

We have similar but did not declare the room as habitable on H1.

Thousands of houses are still being taxed on the last (decades old) valuation and won’t be updated until someone decides to apply for consent for pretty much any work, like an extension, Velux installation, or a new fosse. Then the proverbial chickens come home to roost. Given the French don’t change houses like the Brits change their cars they get away with quite a lot over the years.

2 Likes

We are on a lotisment of 14 VERY small house built in 1991 in a holiday area very close to the sea.
13 of these very small house have been extended to make them medium small and one even split into two.
All without planning permission.
We have not done anything. Even the garage is still a garage!
I am absolutely sure that these changes are completely unknown.
We have no intentions of rocking the boat but it is amazing how much potential revenue is being lost bu the commune.

Time to bring up this little nugget once more.

Is there a way to question the Base amount that Tax Foncieres is based upon?

I have managed to download our main house bill for 2020 and also for our new house which is being renovated.

The houses are of a similar size but the Base amount on one is 1285 euro v 895 euro on the other.

After the full calculation is complete the bottomline amount due is 891 euro v 470 euro - seems quite a difference to me.

I would like to see if it is correct. Thanks