Techy people....Help please!

Middle daughter’s BF needs some help - can any of you techy people explain how you use the cause and effect C&E Matrix with Lean 6 Sigma please? (Not the Ishikawa)

Not my bag unfortunately but will either of these references help?

and there are some other references here

1 Like

The link below should help illustrate the process:

https://flylib.com/books/en/3.470.1.64/1/

I also have an Excel based six sigma toolset that I could email you if you wish.

1 Like

Just want to say how there are times when I so love this site and the people on it! One can ask anything.
I didn’t even understand the question!

3 Likes

Brilliant - thank you very much. I will pass this on and get back to you if necc (I have no idea what either you or he are talking about…)

1 Like

Me neither and I posted it…

2 Likes

Snap, but I misread the title and thought it said tetchy people you wanted help with and, having much experience of walking on metaphorical eggshells, I was wondering what assistance/advice I could give.

Turns out I am not needed. :roll_eyes: :laughing:

4 Likes

Nope me neither!!!

2 Likes

six sigma…takes me back to working days when I used it to redesign business processes in telcos and NY County Council
Six Sigma (6σ) is a set of techniques and tools for process improvement. It was introduced by American engineer Bill Smith while working at Motorola in 1986. Jack Welch made it central to his business strategy at General Electric in 1995

Being a child of the seat of the pants, Heath Robinson era and a recovering victim of many quality drives, Deming, Total Quality Management, 6 Sigma, etc. my medical team advises I don’t participate in this thread.

4 Likes

Very wise.

I was once involved in an ISO 9001 certification exercise, I’m afraid I got a bit cynical about this when the penny dropped that it did not really matter whether we had a quality product, just that we had documented the process 1400 different ways and we could, even if things were s**t, guarantee they would consistently be the same level of s**t all the time.

Thankfully I missed most of the faddy programming methodologies - which is just as well as my project management skills are still somewhere around The Mythical Man Month.

1 Like

IOS 9001 :face_vomiting: It took me years to recover.

I should add that a copy of The Mythical Man Month has graced my bookshelves since 1976.

1 Like

I don’t think Apple have quite got that high with version numbers yet :rofl: :slight_smile:

*my medical team advises I don’t participate in this thread.

So i don’t suppose ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) which is a set of detailed practices for IT service management that focuses on aligning IT services with the needs of business …would float your boar either.
In fact its better at designing and monitoring standards in technology than ISO, Six Sigma and most of their peers.
Glad its all irrelevant to my life now.

Frankly John, I’ve always hated end users :face_with_hand_over_mouth: That’s why I moved from application to systems programming. Later as a manger and an executive I made sure there was sufficient distance between and the great unwashed. Patience has never been one of my virtues and “not suffering fools gladly” or something similar a pretty consistant area for improvement. That was until I was fifty, then I resolved not to suffer fools at all. I’m sure there were ITIL experts in my organisation and that I nodded wisely as we reviewed our key indicators.

1 Like

Haha when I got landed leading an ISO9001 project luckily I had an excellent Quality man who said the same as @anon88169868 above.

He said so long as it’s documented and we can claim it’s consistent then it can be any old BS the measure is not effectiveness so much as adhesion. And if an audit finds we haven’t done it then provided we can prove we made an effort and had some controls then we’ll be fine

We promptly decided to make it an ISO9002 project which was a lot easier and could tick our leaders’ Quality objective box as having done something.

Since then, keeping the above Quality advice in mind has helped me dodge so much Compliance bull$hit. It’s all the same thing and blind adherence is part of the downfall of Western economies

Me either @SuePJ :rofl:
Edit: I just saw that this post dates back to January but I stand by what I wrote all the same :woman_facepalming:t2::innocent: