Teeth Descaling Dogs

Hi has anyone had their dogs teeth descaled am trying to get a ball part figure on costs. Thank you.

I had one of the cats done years ago but no charge as my vet preferred five mins of treatment to a lot of expensive work down the line. The dog had wonderful teeth anyway as he ate only prescription biscuits but I think the best thing would be to get the vet(s) locally to give you an idea first, it may not be as much as you think but on the other hand they may find a problem and have to treat it. You canā€™t really put a price on a four legged companion when it comes to their health needs.

1 Like

A quick look on google told me that it can vary depending on the weight of the dogā€¦
seems to be anything from around 100ā‚¬ to nearly 400ā‚¬

I was thinking the Vets must be very braveā€¦ then I noticed that the price includes ā€œknocking 'em outā€ while the work is going onā€¦ (very wise in my view) :wink:

Your local vet will give a priceā€¦ and donā€™t be afraid to check other vets tooā€¦ prices can (and do) varyā€¦

I know, i just forked out Ā£1,127.25 for my 11 year old Lab in the UK for 3 teeth to be extracted. We will be back in France shortly and i have generally found the Vets cheaper than the UK, so will go for a descale on the Cocker in France.

Interestingly a UK vet friend staying looked at our dogā€™s teeth and said they definitely needed descaling etc. So we took them to our French vet, who completely disagreed with the need to descale, unless the situation was critical (due to a wish to avoid unnecessary anesthesia). She said that most descaling can be dealt with by chewing on good bones (advice our dogs were delighted with!). So we didnā€™t get them descaledā€¦

1 Like

In the US my daughterā€™s cat had stones lodged in his urethra (sp?) so could not pee easily - $8000 to have them surgically removed at the local animal hospital taking not very long and then 24hrs observation. She has now taken out insurance for the two dogs as well.

My dog was heading for 17 when she died and her teeth were beautiful, never needed anything doing. The vet put their exceptionally good state (not even ā€˜for her ageā€™ just exceptionally good full stop) down to all the bunnies she caught and crunched up in the vines.

2 Likes

Ours has her teeth brushed every morning; poodles are intelligent, but this one hasnā€™t learned how to do it herselfā€¦

1 Like

Should be based on the weight of the scale surely?

1 Like

Our French vet also feels risk of descaling is greater than risk of gum disease. So he had them done a few years back when had to have an anaesthesia anyway , so didnā€™t cost extra. He does have toothpaste and toothbrush, but we are bad at doing it regularly.

I tried to approach my Shiba Inu to clean his teeth the one and only time, he had fangs worthy of Dracula and would use them if provoked but only gently, he wasnā€™t having any of it and snatched the brush out of my hand and ran off with it.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: nice oneā€¦ :+1: :+1: :rofl: :rofl:

Try descaling the kettle and let the dog drink the water :rofl: :rofl:

Poisoning animals is not funny.