Testing the Waters

Hi Elaine, I love talking météo but don't have a lot of time at the moment so I'll keep it short. Don't go to the Limousin or the Auvergne - too wet. Don't look at annual rainfall - look at the number of days per year with rain as that's what really matters. Do you want a mediterranean climat or oceanic - you need to go to the east of the aude for the former, the further west you go the more oceanic it is. You'll get real seasons wherever you go in the midi-pyrénées, and southern france in general. Think about extremes too - heat wave summers can be worse than freezing winters - see the various other charts on the above link for more details. PS, you're looking miles away from where the Mistral blows, you need to consider the tramontane, autan, marin and various others I'll try and give more precise advise when I get the time - feel free to ask specific questions ;-)

Céad míle fáilte, Elaine. Firstly, a bit of shameless touting/looking for members. Come and join my group, http://www.survivefrance.com/group/theemeraldisle. The second group I would recommend if you haven't already joined is the Languedoc group, http://www.survivefrance.com/group/languedocroussillon. As the Aude is part of the Languedoc, there will doubtless be many members who would be happy to share advice and suggestions.

Secondly, we live in the Aude (both of us originally from Dublin), and am more than happy to answer any questions or meet up with you when you get here.

It does rain sometimes here in the Aude, but the vines need it!

Hi Elaine and welcome to SFN!

Yes, you'll love it on here, lots of information, silly stuff and lively debate. Of course wherever you decide to settle in France you'll still be able to get hold of us BUT I am biased because I live in the Limousin, in Haute Vienne, so obviously I would say 'come here, absolutely'. Yes it rains but that's what makes the countryside so lush and green. Yes winters are cold, this year saw 3 weeks of freak deep-freeze where it fell to -15, but it's a land of all seasons. I just moved over from Malta with my little boy where the weather is either hot or cold damp. He has never seen snow, never seen trees change colour through the seasons - I can't wait. So there, that's my vote!! And we're always available for a cup of tea so hurry up.

Firstly, welcome to SFN. Members, like the Higginsons running the network, are by and large a good crowd. We have lots of lively debate balanced out with amicable discussion, humour and outright joyous madness at times. If you want advice it's the place to come to. Am I biassed? Yes, sure I am because since I joined I have made some friends who I have as yet to meet but am really looking forward to it. Do I need SFN? Essentially, no because I have family, friends and one way or another I get most information we need. I don't even really need English. However, it was recommended and I liked what was happening and apart from getting the occasional yellow card from Catharine, who is usually right, great fun. I can keep the tab open while I am working and when I want a break, like now, drop in.

Weather - sympathy, we moved here from Swansea where we had approximately one day less than you per annum. I am a Scot married to an Italian Swiss. She does not like cold and wet, I do not like wet and cold, respectively in order. This year much of France has had a good dose of both but that was exceptional. Yesterday was 34 degrees, the day before 38, summers are warm. Even if it gets cold it is for a couple of weeks when you might even be happy to be snowed in for a few days anyway.

We live in the Dordogne, not for obvious reasons such as the Anglo-Saxon community, with which we have almost nothing to do, but because it was where we found a house. It is also cheaper than other areas and budgets do count. So fire away with questions and people on here will answer, whether they are the answers you are looking for is another matter since some people have a rather outrageous sense of humour that pops up just when you are deadly serious.