Tête de veau

Ris de veau, lovely, also lamb sweet breads.
Rognons de veau and calves liver.
Scrumptious.
I have just bought two kilos of boudins from the local chasse, much better than the supermarket stuff.
My granny made the best black pudding when they killed a pig.
She used to put it into stone Keiller marmalade jars.
I have recipes from the Farmer’s Weekly cookbook for lambs fry and lambs tails.

1 Like

We had to eat tripe and onions as it was my dad’s favourite.
In Lancashire there is a dish called elder, which is pickled udder.

My Mum loved Elder

Once and only once, many years ago, I ordered andouillette and naively tucked in. I don’t know if you have ever seen the original Alien movie but there is a scene when the “alien” bursts out of a human host’s chest surrounded by a lot of human tubes, pipes and plumbing. That’s what my andouillette did. Never again.

3 Likes

Anyone ever tried mopani worms? Very popular breakfast dish in South Africa. My wife tried them but she was more adventurous culinary wise than me…

Another Lancashire childhood, when in summer we often had tripe and elder from the UCP tripe butcher; these were dressed in malt vinegar and eaten cold with what passed for a salad in those days (but my parents never bought the grey stuff called 'slut). This upbringing was excellent preparation for life in the Aveyron where tripe or tete de veau breakfasts often open a fete or a sporting event. I find the local tripes, tripoux and andouillettes wonderful, but have many local Brits, Dutch and even several French friends who won’t touch the stuff.

Anyone else here like pieds de porc à la Sainte -Menehould?

Not for me.

Now you are talking.

Love them.

I like to think I’m pretty gregarious with food but a nasty bug after a holiday to India has of necessity made me more careful as some foods now upset my stomach . That said I ate street food last year in Penang including a dish allegedly containing mantis shrimps (odd texture) and survived . I cannot however bring myself to try tête de veau or cervelles. I think it’s a combination of look, texture and knowing what they are. My daughter had ris de veau at an upmarket restaurant we went to for my birthday on Saturday and said they were delicious. Mind you she also ate sticky rice cooked in bamboo sticks over a charcoal fire from a roadside village in Vietnam. She was quite poorly the following day …

2 Likes

Now there you have mentioned 2 of my absolute favourites, nep rice and laksa (I extrapolated from Malaysian street food). I used to work in Mumbai and loved all the different gastronomic traditions there, v interesting Jain food for instance where you eat certain things on certain days according to ayurvedic principles.
I used to be given cervelle meunière regularly as a child, it was considered wholesome… mind you the best I ever had wasn’t in France but at a party in Damascus :relaxed:

Rice that has been hanging about for too long can contain dangerous toxins.
Best avoid the rice salad at your next party.
It really is not the food, unless you have a real allergy, it is how it is prepared, avoiding contamination, cooked, served and then any left overs kept refrigerated asap.

Yes Jane I know - my daughter used to be GM for Yo! Sushi . They have very strict standards for cooking & serving rice. It mustn’t stand for longer than 2 hours - after that they throw it. She was just being too adventurous on our trip. She was lucky that she wasn’t seriously ill. Just a couple of days discomfort. The bug I got was nothing to do with rice. We never found out what it was or what caused it despite hospital tests . I started being ill about a week after returning from India and it went on for more than 3 weeks although GP wouldn’t give any treatment.Could even have been something I ate or drank on the plane or in the U.K. I lost almost a stone in weight . It has caused lasting damage according to my GP & I still, 3 years on have problems relating to it and have to be careful what I eat & drink and highly spiced or unusual foods are off the menu now.

My Mum caught norovirus on a cruise (it was horrendous for her) and has had problems ever since. She was eventually diagnosed with coeliac disease and, more recently, IBS.

When I visited India in 1998 I followed all the rules about not eating salads or having ice cubes and making sure bottled water was sealed etc. I also decided to avoid meat. I was absolutely fine until the plane journey home… an upset stomach on a plane is particularly unpleasant but no lasting effect thankfully.

Many years ago when my wife was training a a zoology technician she had to prepare and mount a skull. We popped along to our local butcher who provided a pig’s head. After a lengthy simmering we had the makings of not only a mounted specimen but also a considerable amount of brawn to eke out our food budget. It was very tasty.

I am sorry you had such a horrible experience and that it has left you affected long time.

I had food poisoning from a local restaurant, I had a dish containing frozen mussels.

An added benefit.

Thank you Jane. Most of the time I’m fine. I know what foods (& drinks) to avoid but it is a bit restrictive and can be boring at times. Bit like having to wear comfortable shoes instead of classy heels or suffer for it later :joy::joy::joy:

I have to wear flats after nerve damage when my back was put out when I was moved whilst unconscious after an operation.
It took five days for anyone to listen to me and tge permanent damage had been done by then.

1 Like

Oh Jane thats just awful how terrible for you. I hope my remark about shoes didn’t seem flippant and I’m really sorry if I upset you in any way. I’m so sorry you have been left with lasting pain. It’s awful when you know something is wrong but the medical people don’t listen to you. Even worse still that you have been left with lasting damage as a result. I had an infection after having my son and no one would listen to me until it was time for me to leave hospital when finally the consultant asked the ward sister why I hadn’t been given antibiotics. I was luckily not left with any lasting effects. I wear (almost) flat shoes (normally boots or trainers) due to an arthritic big toe that has now fused solid. I would love to wear at least some type of heel now and again but its just not worth the pain when I take them off.

It’s not constant pain, but heels best avoided.

Let’s hope that they listen to people a bit better nowadays.

1 Like