The Baguette is a Cultural Treasure..?

Snails are hardly a French only dish.

the question was “a cultural treasure” and as snails are a thing people associate with france I would say its a cultural treasure. Baguettes are eaten around the world now so are chocolatines an d all the other nice things.

That’s a bit like saying fish and chips is not only a English thing.

Google “where are snails a delicacy:” In France, snails are common and referred with the French word “Escargot.” When cooked, snails are prepared with garlic and parsley butter, added for seasoning, and served in their shell. They are very expensive because they are considered a delicacy.

In fact most of the searches on eating snails all refer to France.

Maybe before commenting actually read what is written saves making comment not related to the original question.

So yes i stand by snails should be a cultural dish.

just the shear though of it, i just cant do it. I cant do liver or kidneys either.

We have a snail farm locally, very good farm products and available at local markets too. :slight_smile:

Also locally we have Paté Berrichon ( Une version du terroir du pâté en croute associant dans une pâte feuilletée, viandes et œufs) …delicious

And …Pâté aux pommes de terre façon berrichon …

Also have an excellent bakery, runner up in best pâtissière in the region( wonderful choice of cakes and so innovative) that’s why I have put on weight ! :wink:

2 Likes

No they don’t, have you actually read your link properly? Snails are eaten regularly all over the world , this paragraph comes from a link on snails as a foodstuff.
“Land snails, freshwater snails and sea snails are all eaten in a number of countries (principally Spain, Philippines, Morocco, Nigeria, Algeria, Cameroon, France, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Bulgaria, Belgium, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Cyprus, Ghana, Malta, Terai of Nepal, China, Northeast India states such as Manipur, Tripura and parts of the United States). In certain parts of the world, snails are fried. For example, in Indonesia, they are fried as satay, a dish known as sate kakul. The eggs of certain snail species are eaten in a fashion similar to the way caviar is eaten.”

When I visit Cyprus for a couple of months a year we even eat them at breakfast with a glass of wine.
SO from the link provided by Stella she asks what else could be added to the French cultural treasure category , France are seventh on the list of countries that eat snails therefore can they really claim it to be a FRENCH cultural treasure when The Spanish were eating them well before any other nation in the world?

yes its all very boring.

FRANCE has them, they are something people recognise as something that is a dish in FRANCE, therefore it is CULTURAL.

The post did not ask for traditional or unique dishes, it asks for cultural treasures and as France is very well known for its snail eating as until I googled it I did not know anywhere else ate them like they do in France quite allot of people who dont travel probably dont either.

No one asked what dishes are only eaten in france and are originally from france.

Fish and chips is a cultural treasure of England (created first shop by a jewish man apparently) but its eaten all over the world so what your saying is fish and chips cant be a cultural treasure because its eaten not only in england… In fact chips were actually not even invented in england they think although there is no solid proof it was what we now call belgium and the portugees actually gave us fried fish. But its still a tradition and cultural dish of England.

So I stand by Snails are a cultural dish of France.

Really? Some others might enjoy learning something new. Perhaps it was useful for those who “did not know anywhere else ate them like they do in France”?

i meant your argument over if it was a cultural dish as it wss eaten in other places and ive asked a few french friends and they think it is cultural to france even if it is eaten else where its something people around the globe associate with french people that and frogs and garlic.