the tourists trickle in

and when they come

and they will come

I pray to god

the we don’t have a second coming

not just yet

all we can do is wait for the “all clear”

6 Likes

Hi Tony - I ‘liked’ this when you first posted it, as did others - and thought I’d look it up again and venture to comment.
The supermarket-hospital analogy is powerful, and I enjoyed your thought-provoking word-play (spreaders, second coming) - though for me the highlight is ‘masked up like surgeons with psychiatric intentions / our washed hands are now as dry as shiny paper’ - made me wonder if you know Paul Ricoeur’s Theory of Metaphor - it is certainly a ‘semantic clash’ - shocks us into our own creativity.

But tell me - are you looking for feedback/discussion? (If not - sorry!)

Oh just remembered - the English title of the book is The Rule of Metaphor - not theory of metaphor - though that’s what it is!

Hi there thanks for you kind words and feedback. Feedback and discussion is good. I suppose I just wanted to meet up with others who share a love of poetry and writing. I don’t claim to be an expert but I do like to play with words and develop connections with words that strengthen their meanings and to make people think. I originally wrote this back in April. Welcome to my world and do feel free to keep in touch. Tony

1 Like

I share your love of poetry and writing Tony, and would encourage you to post more.

I taught literature in my younger days, first in a school, then a university (Keele, where among my colleagues were several published poets such as Roy Fisher and Richard Godden) - I also once set up a bookshop and publishing business, and organised readings with some very prominent poets - I have nice signed books by the likes of Roger McGough, etc…

I used to write poetry myself, but over the years this took more and more of a back seat to the technical writing I was paid to do - though I like to think my general skills as a wordsmith continued to play a part even in writing dry technical guides!

1 Like