The Calm before the Storms

January has been a pretty quiet month for us this year, giving us both a bit of time to catch our breath and relax a bit. We certainly needed it and it has done us both good to take things a little bit easier for a while. We started the year off quietly by just about managing to stay awake until midnight on New Years Eve and welcoming in the New Year with a glass of home-made ginger wine (we know how to live here!) before giving up on the TV and heading off to bed! On New Years Day, we headed off to Lowther Castle with Hazel, Phil the little one and Xena to have lunch there and a bit of a walk which was a good way to start the year we thought. One of the lovely things about being back in the UK is the opportunities it gives us for family time. We headed out for a post-Christmas lunch later that week too with our U3A French speaking group which was lovely too. We went to Laings at Harker…our usual place for these gatherings and enjoyed a nice relaxed meal with all our group plus a few extras as “other halves” and former members were also invited. It was a lovely time to catch up with everyone’s news…and for once we all spoke English for this session!

Our month seems to have been punctuated by meals out and very little else really. Very unusual for us, but as I have said above after that hectic pre-Christmas period both of us felt the need just to completely chill out for a while. We have continued to eat out most Wednesdays and the first week, as our car was in the garage for a service and MOT, we managed to walk up to The Gatehouse Café, near the cemetery entrance for lunch at long last. We had been meaning to go here for ages as lots of people have told us how good it is and I have to say we were not disappointed. We have also eaten at The Bridge Inn in Pooley Bridge (where we had the place to ourselves – that does not happen in summer!), and another of our favourite places, Crofton Hall where as usual we enjoyed a great meal. We also met up with Linda and Mike one Wednesday in Bassenthwaite which was good as we are struggling to do so very much together due to family commitments and trips away on both sides. That day was “fun” as the roads were very icy and Linda and Mike struggled to get out of the village where they live. I also had a bit of a disaster that day as I slipped on a patch of black ice just outside the pub and twisted my ankle. It is still in the process of healing…these things take so much longer now that we are older don’t they? I was glad to get home that day and get the ankle strapped up and a couple of painkillers into me! Things are improving now though and hopefully by the time we set off for France next week I’ll be back to walking properly instead of hobbling!

Our activities in Church have also calmed down lately thank goodness although we did do another Café Church session last Sunday which went well as usual…but as usual was also hard work! I opted out of a lot of the bacon butty preparations this time as my ankle was still sore, but even so we were glad to get home again afterwards. These sessions are definitely working and most of the church members are getting behind us. The next one will be when we are away next month so it remains to be seen if others can sort out all the buying of food and setting out the tables etc. I’m sure they will!!

I have had visits to both the eye clinic for injections (youpi!) and to the dentist for yet another review regarding my treatment after my fall last year. We don’t seem to be making any progress there and it is always a case of wait and see…something which pleases me in one way as I hate dental treatment of any kind but is also frustrating as I feel they are not really coming up with any plans. My teeth are not giving me any trouble or pain but they still don’t feel right at all. It just seems that it costs me each time for very little activity on their part. Hey ho…I seem to be caught in a never-ending situation here

The weather here in the UK has been pretty dire this month. We have had some snow…even here in Carlisle which is very unusual. It was nice to see snow again…I really miss the snowfalls we used to get in the Auvergne…but the aftermath here was not clever at all with very icy roads and pavements for several days. Gritting here is concentrated on the main thoroughfares and does not happen at all on the smaller roads or pavements. Geoff had to be extremely careful where he walked Xena each morning to stay upright. The snow was followed by two very bad storms with very fierce winds and lots of rain. A lot of damage was done across the whole country and to be honest I think we got off fairly lightly here in Carlisle. The rivers did burst their banks but there was no serious flooding and there were lots of trees uprooted and tiles blown off rooves but all in all it would seem that no one was seriously injured. These storms do seem to becoming more violent and frequent though. We have consoled ourselves frequently this month by looking at blue skies and sunshine on the Cote d’Azur …and marking off the days until we get back there!

We finished off our travels for this month by a weekend trip down to Manchester to look after our grandchildren for the night, whilst their parents escaped for a night of luxury and fun in a swanky hotel in Manchester itself. Matthew had “won” the bid for this in a charity auction at an event he had attended last year. They thoroughly enjoyed it! We also enjoyed the chance to do things with Ethan and Hadley…once we persuaded them to leave their blasted screens alone for a bit! Geoff took them off for a walk…which he enjoyed…not so sure about the kids! He also took his pickleball kit down plus a couple of borrowed bats so that Ethan could have a try as he is being introduced to pickleball at Cubs this week for a sports badge, we think. He was quite good at hitting the ball which was great for both him and his Papi! We also got to see Hadley’s new Brownie uniform which we had bought (we have bought all their uniforms for them) … blimey what a price they are now…£52 for this one! Hadley is making her promise this week and so was very pleased to have all the right kit. We headed back home on the Sunday when Matthew and Susie returned from their break.

And so, we come to the end of January…never my favourite month really. It is all speed ahead now until we set off for France on Saturday. We are flying from Manchester this time as the direct flights to Nice from Edinburgh do not start until the end of March. I am already a bit stressed about this as I hate Manchester Airport with a passion. We are travelling by train on Saturday – we hope as, of course, there is a rail strike on that day – and staying overnight in one of the airport hotels as our flight is an early one on Sunday. We are really looking forward to this trip…a chance for me to see all the mimosa in flower at long last. We are also looking forward to seeing our friend Bernadette (one of Geoff’s old students) who is picking us up at the airport. A real treat that, as we usually get the bus along to St Aygulf. Anyway, that episode is all to be recounted in the next blog at the end of February, as always.

Until then*
A bientot mes amis**

1 Like

Mimosa blossom… and that fragrance… absolutely magnificent as far as I am concerned… although a few find the “smell” overpowering…

Many gardens locally have a small bush or two… but one home has aparticularly huge mimosa tree/shrub… and the owner is very generous to all those want some branches for their homes or public buildings…

It also provides colour as a dried arrangement (when I’ve forgotten to keep the vase topped up)

I love mimosa & have always wanted to see it in flower. It grows like a weed on the hills near our place but when we usually arrive in April it is finished flowering. When we lived in the Auvergne the guys used to transport vans full of it for the big Foire de Sainte Paule in Issoire from the south coast & I always got an armful to place all round the house. I love the scent :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear Christine, I’ve just read your latest edition of your blog - and whilst, clearly, the freedom to write anything on SF is fundamental to the site, what is the purpose of this public exposé of your ankle and teeth problems; eye injections; the ‘Gatehouse café’ near the cemetary entrance [an unfortunate choice of name!]; the weather somewhere ‘up north’ that I, for one, have no knowledge or conscious recollection of; Brownie uniforms; more weather; et al . . . . ?
Perhaps your experiences in the St Aygulf area will have more pertinence to SF readers - but may i make a positive suggestion? Whilst there must be always be someone somewhere who can relate to these intricacies of your life in Little Britain, you will reach a much wider readership if you focused on the insider view that you can send to us beleagured ex-pats about life back in the Homeland - the state of medical care; the effect of change on the pubs & restaurants, as you experience them; your take on climate change as it is affecting the area of the UK that you know; the true state of the Anglican church nowadays, compared to what you remember; and - for sure - your comments on how the airports handle current mass passenger numbers, and the effect of, for example, Brexit on this. There are so many more everyday experiences that we can all relate to.
By the time you read this, you will have landed in Nice. I hope that you had a good flight experience. Do tell us how it was - and how Nice compared to Manchester.

I noticed t his week that the local apricot orchards have mimosa hedges about the height of an adult human all around their edges. It looks very pretty but after having trees in Bretagne and the horrendous off-shoots popping up everywhere just for a week or two of beautiful blooms they were soon got rid of pronto!

In these difficult/stressful times… the News is nearly all bad… and reading your gentle narrative is somewhat soothing… thank you…

and welcome back to France… :wink:

Thank you for your comments. I do write about such things occasionally if they are relevent to our lives here but I shall continue with the format as it exists for as long as people continue to read it & enjoy it…& they do. I have far more readers on this site than the one i publish on in the UK…says something eh?

I bet that was a lovely sight…apricot tres & mimosa. I am so looking forward to seeing…& smelling the mimosa now :slight_smile:

Thank you…I needed that comment after the other one! I have written this blog in this format for 15 years now & have no intentions to change. As long as people continue to enjoy it I will continue yo write it. And now for 2+weeks of resuming our French life…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

This brought to the fore just how foreign the UK is now. I wonder how villages, towns and cities look. What I would like to ask you however, on behalf of a good friend who is going blind, is how you managed to organise eye injections in the UK. Were they done on the NHS? I’d be really grateful to hear back regarding this.

My mother had eye injections on the NHS for macular degeneration. It wasn’t a problem.

It took us a while to get back into the swing of things when we came back to the UK but we have really enjoyed re-discovering all the places we love…& many more now in & around the Lake District & Cumbria. My eye injections are because I have DMO (diabetic Macular Oedema). I was referred by my GP to the eye clinic in the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle where i receive excellent treatment. I suppose it will all depend on the reason for your friends failing sight & where she lives unfortunately.

I’m really glad this has worked out well for you…

Sadly, when we visited places for which we have some particularly strong memories… we found the places so very changed that it was heartbreaking…

My head is full of wonderful memories of the UK, I can see the places I love in my mind’s eye… :wink: and that is how we’ve decided to leave things.

I enjoy hearing tales of the Lake District etc etc… and am there in spirit :wink: :wink: