The cost of connecting a new fosse

What companies do here is insist on supply and fit so immediately there is a big margin that has to be added to the basic cost of the tank perhaps 40%, the hourly rate for a plumber is around 50 euros incl TVA and if the hot and cold feeds don’t need adjusting then it should take no more than two hours, I reckon at least 1000 Euros all in.

1 Like

We had a new hot water tank which cost €800 including fitting.
Not sure of exact litreage now, but it was larger than we needed (3 bed house).
That was about a year ago. The tank came from Leroy Merlin.

A fosse is either connected or it isn’t. If there is a new fosse why isn’t it connected to the house?

There is no point in a fosse being installed unless a house is connected to it. A fosse septique is the principal part of a waste system for a property that is not conected to a communal waste/sewerage system.

The next question is whether the property is allowed to have a fosse or does it have to be connected to the village’s own sewerage system?

If you will excuse the pun, there is something that doesn’t smell right about the property.

1 Like

I think that this is what you must have missed. The whole thread is based on the fact that there is a house and a new fosse but the two are not connected.

But why is there a house and a new fosse if the two aren’t connected?

A fosse septique (an antiquated term not strictly equivalent to the fosse part of an “assainissement non collectif”.

If the house is outside the bounds of the “assainissement collectif” it will need a tank which collects both black and grey water (fosse toutes eaux) and a drainage system (tranchées d’épandage.) disperses the outflow from the fosse. OR you can have a fosse which consists of a dual tank, an electrical stirring system which allows you to discharge the output direct to a water course.

If you have a house and a new fosse/epandage system why are the two not already connected? If all the other work has been done according to the codes then connecting the house and the fosse/epandage should only cost a couple of hundred of Euros, but that is not the real question – why has it not been connected already?

As I said in a previous post, there is something very smelly about the whole situation.

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

I would guess that the vendor is simply selling an unfinished project. Nothing fishy at all.
I’m sure we all know what people mean by a fosse.

hi
i am having a building a new house on some land in the south of france and need a bit of advise on
1 getting spank guy out to tell me what when and how ( contact number etc)
2 veolia are our water company who supplies the village and trying to contact them to get them out to connect me ( contact number etc)
and elecrtic edf for connection as well ( same again contact number etc)
any one

Spank? as in spank my wallet? :rofl:
Your best reference point is probably your local Mairie. They will be able to advise you on SPANC, ERDF (Enedis) and Viola plus all the other issues you need to be mindful of.

You can just put Spanking into Google can’t you?

I did… the mind boggles Whatever turns you on paying your bills…

Consenting adults in private…

Hi Pete and welcome to the Forum

Please can you amend your Registration to give your First and Last Name… as in Full Name per our T&C’s…

If you’re not sure how to do that… simply put your Full Name here on this thread and I will amend things for you.

cheers

peter john macklin

1 Like

Hi Peter

It’s quite possible that your Mairie will advise you on how to contact SPANC and give you the name of the local person (always useful having “a name”)

Likewise for Veolia

although both SPANC and Veolia will have their own websites and you simply put in your own commune… (as I recall)…

cheers

hey
been on spanc web site and is as clear as mud
do you know if there is a form i fill out on there to get a inspector out
pete

Smart Commercials
office 01283 735000
mobile 07809214964

they generally have a contact telephone number or an email address.

Have you spoken with your Mairie… some can be more helpful than others… and for “foreign newbies” they might be prepared to have a word with SPANC on your behalf.

In fact, thinking about it… you must be in touch with your Mairie if you’re building… :thinking: :hugs:

We have the shell up and windows
Are going down in September to do the electrics ( got a guy doing those )
And I am starting the drainage and plumbing
Just trying to figure out getting the water and the electric connected
Will speak to the Marie when we get there And see if I can organise a visit then
Thanks for help and advice as we are newbies lol
Pete

Hi,
We’ve just had a quote from a French company for a complete new fosse septique and it’s a whisker over €8k including going across the road to the drainage ditch - which, of course, isn’t on “our” side of the road. The company install the fosse and then it is up to us to connect it (either ourselves or via a plumber).

Any house that is for sale should have the diagnostics done, this includes the DPE (energy consumption), electricity and gas reports, lead paint and asbestos reports and one on the fosse septique, there are other reports as well depending on where you live (such as termites etc). You can ask your estate agent to see a copy of them.
They have to be provided for (and attached to) the compromis as well.

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you will be able to link up to the ditch… ??? Around here, that is no longer acceptable… (just a thought…)

Hi, Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:
the company works with the SAUR/SPANC so it is totally legal here in the Indre (36).