The Danish Girl "a mistake"?

Again - typical examples. Look into what actually happened in both of those cases Porridge (I believe we have discussed the Moore case on SurviveFrance before for example). It’s simply not true that they were hounded out of their jobs by ‘woke people’. My guess is you’re reading reports in media that only give a partial view of one side of their stories - and that sums up the Tory culture wars.
Meanwhile, others really are sacked by the ‘anti-woke’ (otherwise known as racists, misogynists, etc) !

No they wouldn’t.

My guess is that you’re talking out of your hat, @Geof_Cox, because you can’t possibly know what I read! Here’s how the New Statesman reported the Moore case: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2020/11/first-thoughts-how-suzanne-moore-split-guardian

The facts aren’t in dispute in either case except, perhaps, by people who are “woke”.

Perhaps not all, though perhaps you could give some examples of woke people who would say that a person with XY chromosomes ought to be treated differently to someone who was born with XX chromosomes?

As for my contention: Exhibit P/3 JK Rowling.

This thread was kicked off by by Eddie Redmayne
If he feels so bloody guilty, hand back the feckin money you earnt!

3 Likes

Perhaps I’m cynical but I just interpreted it as 'things been a bit quiet for Eddie recently" and so to keep his name in the media his agent dropped a soundbite.

For me, it worked

3 Likes

Yep me too, PR dept working hard

This is a very different question to

But the answer to the first question would be every trans person I’ve ever met for starters. I’ve never seen anyone anywhere ever (although of course I’m just one unobservant person) who has said that people with XX chromosomes should be treated the same as someone born with XY chromosomes, but there’s always the odd lunatic in the world, I mean, look at the billions who follow organised religion, you can find some crank who will believe any old nonsense. :woman_shrugging:

But who knows, I certainly don’t, and it just seems another dull gender debate I have no interest in having if truth be told.

1 Like

You certainly picked a bad thread to contribute to, then, @kirsteastevenson !

Do you accept that people in positions of influence holding the view that “trans women aren’t real women” - I’m sorry to describe it like that, because it’s a simplistic caricature - are hounded (examples given above), or do you think that just doesn’t happen?

Entertainers only have principles up the point that doing so would cost them fame and fortune.

See all those Hollywood types that knew about Harvey Weinstein and kept quiet for decades until it was safe for their wallets and egos to speak out.

How stunning and brave of them.

2 Likes

On the subject of Bond I’ve now seen he film so have a few additional thoughts.

Wrapped in spoiler tags as a fairly major plot point is revealed - though I guess most know how things develop by now, but just in case.

The casting of Lashana Lynch as a double-0 shows that you don’t have to be white, or male to play an 00. Unfortunately this character is written to be demonstrably less effective than Bond, presumably to show that the old dog still has some tricks to play and can gain the upper hand over the young upstart.

Which means that I don’t think she could carry on as the franchise’s lead 00 agent.

The fact that Bond dies leaves a very difficult problem - Bond as a franchise has survived precisely because the central character is both strong and readily identifiable allowing less known actors to be cast in the central role.

Without that strong central role I think you need a well known star to attract the audience, and then it simply becomes “just another action flick”

I haven’t changed my view that a person of colour could play Bond but the character needs to be male, but I think that removing “Bond, James Bond” from the franchise will kill it.