The dreaded Clause tontine

Clause tontine again!!! Can anyone help ? my ex-wife and I still own a house in France, after our divorce, which cost me very dear as I lost my house in England to her! but she has agreed to sell me her share of the French house to me, to which I have agreed, unfortunately it seems that I can’t just buy her share without selling the house. Does anyone know if this is true and does the clause tontine affect it?

Hello Michael and welcome to the forum

Please update your Registration to show your Full Name… as per our Terms and Conditions…

If you are unsure how to do that… simply put your full name on this thread and I will amend it for you…

Cheers

Good evening Stella,

My name is Michael Whittington.

1 Like

Hello Michael

As you are talking about a French property… this will have to be dealt with be a French Notaire… as always, there will be paper-work… and fees to be paid.

I think… that both parties have to agree to “nullify” the Tontine and transfer the ownership into a single name . The Notaire will/should take into account financial arrangements which have taken place in UK…regarding division of property etc … to decide what tax/monies (if any) are due as result.

However, you should contact a French Notaire without delay… in my opinion.

You will need to get professional advice of course. However we have a flat that we bought using a clause tontine, for good reasons at the time. I seem to recall that when we went through the pros and cons of using a tontine clause the issue of not being able to transfer easily from one to another was one of the complexities.

A clause tontine means that there is no recognition of any shared ownership. You can jointly agree to a sale of the property, or for the tontine clause to be revoked which costs quite a bit as you will need to agree a deed of renunciation first. But if you can’t agree on either you can’t apply to the Court to order this to happen, so you would be deadlocked.