The end of Freesat (for BBC SD transmissions)

Sky Go on my tablet (mainly used for live F1) is exactly one minute behind the actual live transmission

That reminds me when Lewis won his 7th title, I was in France, my wife in the UK. I said Lewis has won! How do you know that she asked? We are an hour ahead in France :joy:

DNS vs. VPN vs. Smart DNS - Main Differences | NordVPN.

1 Like

When I looked into it earlier it didnt work for Netflix so you would need the VPN as well?

I don’t really worry about Netflix, I just watch what’s available so I don’t know.

1 Like

I have just heard that Amazon are going to stop free streaming services so you’ll have to pay £2.99 to go add free.

I’ve just dropped Prime as there’s next to nothing on it that I want to watch and I suspect Netflix is going next with their clampdown on password sharing. Again, I don’t think it’s good value for just me and the quality of content seems to be dropping.

Unless one pays the additional £2.99 you will also lose the advanced sound, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos . The ad free price is coming to France also in the coming months.

I feel the same way about Amazon Prime Video, so they can keep their ads. I only have Prime for the free shipping and next day delivery, which I use a lot.

If it wasn’t for that aspect I would cancel it though, it’s very cheeky of them to move the goalposts like that.

Bit like BT increasing their broadband charges and explaining it away with “all the free football you will be able to watch”.

I now get my broadband from Vodafone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve noticed recently that the cutoff point for free delivery has gone from €25 to 30 something recently.

They’re probably not making enough money to fully satisfy their greed

Try SOSH - the low cost version of orange…

The SCART (or Peritel) cable, has the worst connectors ever. Slightest movement of cable would cause disconnect. Hopefully, whoever designed them has now retired.

2 Likes

Sunday was very hot here in Charente Maritime. After 20 minutes of mowing I had to stop and cool down, sweat running down my face. It was truly hot. My car, parked in the shade, showed 29°C.

I turned on the TV later in the day and not one Freesat channel was working. No signal at all, all day! Zilch, nada, diddly squat!

This evening was very much cooler, and just before going to bed, I tried again, and the signals were back. So, in my estimation, a hot day is worse than a cloudy rainy wet day where satellite TV reception is concerned.

Weather can have a drastic effect, at least in my household. Unless something happened with the satellite that I don’t know about?

Zillons from the planet Thaarg most likely. They feed on stray electrons. :smiley:

We had a DirectTV satellite system in Turks & Caicos - it wasn’t affected by hot weather (which we had a lot of!), but thunderstorms or heavy rain would definitely disrupt the signal.

Maybe the electronics in your LNB thingy in the satellite dish was getting too hot? I’m only guessing though.

I am only guessing too.

Maybe heat forces the dish offline due to expansion of metal mountings…? This would effect a dish that is badly lined up more, obviously.

…or what @ChrisMann said…

2 Likes

I am guessing that the LNB was affected by the intense radiant heat of the sun. I don’t think the alignment of the dish is at fault as it’s been operating OK for 25 years or so. Reception is OK right now, this morning.

If it persists in hot weather I’ll get a technician to realign the dish to a higher position and adjust the LNB. Can’t do it myself now. Using the ladder numerous times, a year ago, to put in a new LNB, has messed up my 82-year-old muscles/ligaments around the hip joints.

They are healing, slowly, and I don’t want to stress them again.

In which case it’s done very well. Years of of hot/cold & wind will push even the best dishes offline slightly.

Ummm…it only has one place to look at , so pointing it “higher” won’t help. If anything mounting the dish lower would be better, where it might be better protected from wind, & you could even tweak it yourself.

Clearly your particular circumstances might not make a ground mount possible, but I have no info to go on.

1 Like

This can happen, and if the dish is on the edge of reception this can make a difference. The thing with digital satellite signals is that you get a ‘cliff’ effect where you can have brilliant reception generally, but a small change to the signal can wipe out large numbers of channels.

Over a period of time, LNBs can be damaged my intense sunlight, but this tends to cause issues all the time, not just when the sun is shining. If you put a new LNB in, did you set the skew of the LNB correctly, as this can make a big difference in marginal signal conditions. It does make a big difference to my setup.