The end of Freesat (for BBC SD transmissions)

I wondered if wrapping the back of the LNB with aluminium duct tape would reflect some of the sun’s heating away from the internals?

That could be a cunning plan - Tin foil hats are always good :smiley:

According to this thread LNBs can be prone to heat damage (though some contributors disagree):

As far as I’m aware the LNB was at the best skew, had good reception for a year. The signal disappeared yesterday but came back in the evening, was working OK this morning, but now it has disappeared again!

I unplugged the box then reconnected and it is now trying to set up the dish. I think I will get a technician in and have it done properly.

I wanted the dish a little higher as it faces a huge bank of evergreen trees not far away which might affect reception in windy weather.

During the Freesat setting-up process, it said that a cable is not connected. I’ll borrow back my ladder from a neighbour and have one more go at connecting & lining everything up. I’m the only one over many years who has set up the dish and the LNB. If it doesn’t work, time to call in the technician!

I think I’ve solved the problem! I used a small ladder and a long stick to reach up and give the LNB cable connection a nudge. It worked! Reception back as soon as I switched on the box. Loose connection which needs tightening up. At least I hope that’s what it is.

3 Likes

Well done! Let’s hope it is as simple as that!

Poking things with sticks is not always wise (especially if they have fangs) but LNBs are normally non-violent I think. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have just replaced my sat dish and in doing so have put it in a more sheltered position. I transferred the quad lnb from old to new dish and after some tweaking of the dish got full reception as before however channel 4 hd was not coming on telling me the signal was too weak.
The cable connection are tricky to tighten at the best of times so with a small suitably sized spanner I gave the cable connector to lnb an extra turn and voila channel 4 restored.
No comments required of channel 4 content :wink:

I used a small spanner to tighten up the LNB connectors when I replaced my old LNB a year ago. When I get my ladder back from a neighbour I’ll make sure to give the connections that extra turn. At the moment, the current setup is still working OK.

I certainly wouldn’t dream of fiddling myself, that way lies disaster, but I might well quote your post to my mate Eddie to see if he might come back with a suitable spanner. :wink:

Channel 4 is good for the news, well the best of a bad bunch imo.

I would never have thought of using a “with a small suitably sized spanner”, after all the connector is made with a hex nut and not a knurled fitting.

A search will reveal plenty of F type spanners for the job.

And we dont mean Jaguar drivers :joy:

2 Likes