The English Lake District

Just been watching a Utube ‘thingy’ about it.
Did you know, there’s only, One lake there!
Whats it’s name? :thinking:

1 Like

Lake Windermere, the rest are “Waters”

1 Like

No Mark, it’s a ‘mere’. Like Buttermere :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Must be Bassenthwaite lake then

2 Likes

Ha! I know this one. Had a holiday in Cockermouth and went here. It’s Basenthwaite (is that the right spelling??) as all the others are “meres” or “waters”.

I love the Lake District. Holidayed there many times.

1 Like

Spot on Mark :+1: The rest Tarns, Waters, Meres, I was raised there, spent my youth walking and climbing there, great place to grow up :hugs:

Well done Mandy,! Had an Aunt lived in Cockermouth, Bassenthwaite is lovely sitting below Skiddaw, and next to Derwentwater, I learnt to swim in Bassenthwaite :grin:

1 Like

Must be more than 20 years since I visited the Lake District. I’ve stayed in Cockermouth, Coniston, Kendall and Pooley Bridge and visited just about everywhere.

Prefer it out of season and I think Buttermere is (was) my favourite “lake” as it’s so unspoiled. Back then there were no tacky gift shops or touristy nonsense. Just how I like it. I remember Pooley Bridge being like a Saturday afternoon at Lakeside Shopping Centre!

Lucky you to grow up there.

1 Like

Yes it was Brilliant, we were not right in it, Whitehaven, but it was on the ‘doorstep’, 10mins from Ennerdale Water, Buttermere and Crummock Water are lovely and near my favourite pub at Loweswater :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I was a kid, it was all very much quieter, I would have to visit in the winter now to enjoy it, haven’t been there for about 30yrs

1 Like

Went youth hostelling there in around 1975. We had a great time. One of the hostels (Ambleside I think) was previously a hotel…luxury compared to most of them back then.

2 Likes

I used to spend a weekend a month in the lakes, climbing, walking, getting pissed, getting wet. Used to alternate with weekends in Snowdonia doing exactly the same, but a bit wetter :beer::beer::beer::beer:

1 Like

Used to go up to Keswick on Friday night stay ‘til Sun’, every w/e, bitta climbing lotta drinkin’ and stuff :wink:
Did a few climbs in Snowdonia Mark, Tryfan, The Arrete, stands out! :thinking:

Another spectacular climb I recall, was on Glyder Fawr Mark, huge exposure, can’t remember the name of the route, but there was a ‘nose’ to reach round, that was quite, ‘bum clenching’ :slightly_smiling_face:

Sounds like the Idwal slabs, should really be tried in winter. Started my climbing on Shepherds crag and Napes needle, but never really enjoyed anything harder than HVS. Ice climbing was my preference.

1 Like

No the route on Glyder Fawr wasn’t that.
‘Napes’ was the very first climb I ever did, via, the ‘crack’, the mantleshelf on there was a challenge! Shepherds was ‘home ground’, great variety on there :slightly_smiling_face:

Napes is quite exposed, interesting climb, not for the faint hearted. Birth place of British climbing.

Interesting standing on the top Mark :+1: seen some great old pics of early climbers on there :slightly_smiling_face:
Dove crag has some good routes too.

Houses are cheap, countryside is beautiful and they almost speak English, so what are you all doing in France?

We have a dialect and an accent we are proud of John, you are quite a rude person! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes