The EU and Britian

Not this Brit.

• International reputation trashed
  • Devaluation of £ (that one not all bad, I admit).
  • Paralysing of parliament meaning legislation to address the underlying issues causing the dissatisfaction leading to the Leave vote remains un-enacted
  • Boris Johnson of all f*****g people for PM, if that is not brain-numbingly stupid I don’t know what is.
  • Quarter of a million job losses, decimation of what bits of industry we have left.
  • Inward investment faltering
  • Important EU institutions which were based in UK relocating to EU
  • Collapse of GDP compared with where we would have been
  • Any putative gain in “sovereignty” trashed and devalued by undermining parliament
  • Any shred still left thrown at the feet of the Orange Wonder.
  • The NHS haemorrhaging staff and resources

Need I go on, and much of this despite the fact that we haven’t even left yet.

3 Likes

In what timescale period will all this occur?

Straight away, within a year…when?

All of the points I listed are already happening, objective fact.

I’m waiting for you to come up with anything positive about this crok of shit.

The UK has some of the lowest levels of unemployment in Europe

What metric can you establish this?

Would have been as long as nothing else happened

Brexit is certainly a factor for EU nationals, but they pay them more. Surely that more of a factor?

…if he wins a second term

That’s changing the goalposts - and critique of the statistics around unemployment is a whole other conversation.

The fact remains that job losses can directly be attributed to Brexit - got any shining examples of jobs being created? No, didn’t think so.

Search my old posts - I already provided the evidence for this.

What did happen? We’re talking about the last three years so we can see what happened to the average GDP of other nations (objective fact), what our actual GDP did (objective fact) and how that compared to where our GDP was heading - unless you are suggesting we’d just have found another way to screw things up between Jun 2016 and now, even if we had chosen remain?

If they were happy to come and work for us prior to the referendum what has changed? Oh yes - the fact that we made it clear we didn’t want them by any chance?

Probably doesn’t matter who is actually POTUS, any deal with the 'States, any deal with the EU once we have left is a small nation with a modest GDP trying to negotiate with a much larger partner - we will always be the underdog.

This has adequately been demonstrated in the Brexit negotiations themselves - it turns out that we don’t hold all the cards after all.

Again - I’m waiting for something concrete from you that demonstrates how wonderful Brexit is going to be, anything at all, go on, surprise me.

This topic does seem to bring out the emotion in some of us. Thank you @anon88169868 for demonstrating this so well.

If Brexit is to me solved, these sort of exchanges really must stop. It doesn’t move anything on.

Well, I’m still waiting for a contribution from you which isn’t either a) stiring the pot or b) shrugging your hands and saying “oh but it doesn’t move anything on”.

Do let us know - how would you “solve” Brexit?

I’m not a politician or an economist. It doesn’t seem like you are either.

I think you have missed my point in this. The good and the bad of Brexit is long gone… 3 years ago.

Banging on about how bad Brexit is and justifying your claims has fallen on the deaf ears of UK politicians.

Your entrenched position is (ironically) exactly my point.

So, we had one shot at getting it right three years ago, didn’t, sent the nation on a path of self destruction and should now go, “oh dear, bit of a pity that, meh, might as well get on with it, don’t really care much”?

That seems to me to be the worst possible attitude regarding the whole thing that one could possibly have.

But you are right, if that’s your attitude, there isn’t much point discussing it.

2 Likes

Perhaps an attitude of a realist…But if it makes you feel any better, you dwell on it

But why are you blaming Barnier for what the BBC chooses to taunt the British public with?

FFS, can’t you see that you’re being manipulated. Stuff like this is intended to be a red rag to a bull, and you are being played for a bull and falling for it. That is the only reason the BBC keeps churning it out. It isn’t news, Barnier has been saying these same things all along. But BBC wants to keep anti-EU feeling on the boil and it knows exactly which buttons to push to do that. They have built up a stock of “hate” characters including Juncker, Barnier and Macron and they keep going round them because they know they will always get a knee jerk reaction - they’re about due to try and get some soundbites from Manu again soon. And now you’re trying to their job for them by bringing it onto this forum, where hopefully most people can see through it.

8 Likes

“Where on earth is this going to end, if our negotiators can’t negotiate?”

I wanted to remain. I’d like to say I foresaw all the difficulties, but I didn’t. The best analogy I heard was the one which likened voting leave to voting to move house - without making any decision on where to move to, not town, type of location, size of house, whether we could find work …

Seems to me, with the benefit of hindsight, that it was always going to be next-to-impossible to negotiate any deal. The EU owes us nothing and has every motivation to make things difficult, pour décourager les autres. :wink:

1 Like

Well said Anna.

Posting anti-EU nonsense and propaganda on here is bound to get a robust response. Most of us are pro-EU and anti-Brexit so be prepared to argue your point.

4 Likes

I’m not sure about that - if, immediately after the referendum, the argument had been framed in terms of the closeness of the vote, the promises to not leave the SM, the need to remain close to the EU I am sure that we could have negotiated EEA membership either as part of EFTA or standalone and we would now be enjoying the Norway-style freedom from the EU of which Farage was once so enthusiastic.

But too much water has passed under the bridge since then.

1 Like

I am allowed to disagree. Its not Facebook. Cummon, I am doing nothing of the sort. I just don’t think his approach works that well.

I am…or would your prefer I left?

I’d prefer that you didn’t ask me deliberately provocative questions but, apart from that, do as you like.

1 Like

Darren - I do not feel your question is fair. You might be thought to be goading someone into a reply which would not be correct-form.

What part isn’t fair?