The first exclusive extract from Sam Brick's new book - only on SFN!

I am often suprised at exactly what is published....more so since I acquired a new Kindle Fire...where obviously they have decided the short cut should be to cut out the editor...what point correct spelling, grammar etc... But seriously....how much is the enjoyment of a book purely subjective? My favourite author by far is John Irving, who I first read as an 18 year old.. I gather he is the equivalent of marmite to most readers. I enjoy the John Mayle type of book...changing countries, changing lives....despite the fact the actual experience didnt agree with me!

in for a penny.....not sure you are correct there Catharine....if a critic says for instance...Judi Dench's portrayal of Ophelia was dire....or the latest book by John Irving was a load of twaddle...I suggest they are personal comments on a derogatory level...we are talking about the abilities and creativeness of an individual...so yes, it is personal.

No, no one is being derogatory on a personal level.

However it's quite clear which posts are not adhering to the SFN dinner party netiquette guidelines.

Norah, that makes two of us!

Ooooh Janet you are naughty!

I cannot see any of the more negative posts (mine included) appear to be derogatory about Ms Brick on a personal level, they merely express an opinion about the extract from her book - some (mine included) in may beless than diplomatic language ......

Not entirely convinced the world needs yet another book about decamping to France, the trials and tribulations thereof, the hoary-handed sons of toil who have a heart of gold under their gruff exteriors, Madame Moche with her flowery nylon overall and unlikely purple hair, having to politely eat an andouillette at the fete du village without barfing, being the source of much merriment and joshing with ones appalling CSE level French - need I go on? Haven't even started on the joys of house refurbishment!

Bof! It's all Peter Mayle's fault!

I've done it again I think? I've missed something here. Before I begin let me say that I am certainly NOT having a go at ANYONE, but.................. where is the disregard for the feelings of other people in the above extract????? Was there any earlier extract???? To quote the chips in the tv add "I am really lost now............".

Just posted the second installment Amanda :)

All this reaction - and we haven’t even got beyond the dreamy chateau, the grumbly mum and the accent yet. At this rate, I think we should ALL get free copies, with a signed free copy for Cate :wink:
Agree, Alexander: not nearly violent enough…

Really Janet? You must have missed a fair few threads then.

;-)

My initial comments were not pointed at you Maria...you happened to reply to my posting regarding giving an SFN member a tough time. My comments were regarding the overall unpleasant comments along the line of 'what rubbish', 'do you have to publish more' and 'crap'! You appeared to be defending the right of those who were being rude and commented it was ok to give like for like...hence my reply to you. If I have been unfair to you I most certainly do apologise. Samantha and I were 'friends' on SFN from pretty much the beginning of SFN. I didnt even connect the Sam Brick I saw on UK tv with the one on SFN. I have heard the interviews and read a couple of articles about her. But unless someone is a criminal or has done something pretty heinous, I tend not to pre judge until I have met them. As for taking umbrage at her claim of being very beautiful, doesnt bother me one bit...I know plenty of men who think they are one step up from Steve McQueen in the looks department, vanity isnt a crime and rarely hurts anyone. As far as the book is concerned, I am sure it will sell plenty, lots of people wanting to move to France love easy reads about it, I didnt think it was a requirement to be a Booker prize contender to show bits of writing on SFN, or do we all have to claim to only read literature?

Alexander....we put my mother in a car and took her to France....her second visit ever...it was a never to be repeated exercise...she even managed to break the hotel door! 'they' put vinegar on her salad....a cardinal sin... there was no bath only a shower...and on and on.....we learnt....I am sure Ms Brick did too!

ah sorry Maria, didnt realise you were responding like for like...I must have missed the bit where she was rude to you.

No Maria, everyone is not expected to rally around and support her...but comments like 'the writing is crap' are unneccessary....its the point about being online...If Ms Brick turned up at one of our lunches where previously we have had 18 or so people...would these comments have been made to her face? and if you say yes, I think I may doubt that is true. What happens in life outside of websites is that people who dont wish to support a person of read their book, ignore it. Simple. I brought my children up to have good manners and offer politeness to people. If Ms Brick had been rude to anyone on this site I wouldnt have missed a beat if she received the same back, and I dont apologise for not being impressed with the bad manners shown thus far.

I have never heard of Sam Brick, but I knew after the first two paragraphs, it was not for me. Far too many adjectives.

I may buy the book. Quite enjoyed that extract. I really like reading books about people who have moved to France. They are usually good fun and sometimes quite informative. And, yes, I have read Sartre, Hugo, Zola etc, I also get great pleasure from Alexander McCall Smith, Khaled Hosseini and more "chick lit" than you could shake a stick at!!! I think I am a "genuine reader". Happy to read it all. I had never heard of Sam Bricks but I wish I had written the book - in fact, I wish I had written ANY book.

I assume the unpleasantness is assumed ok because of Sam Bricks previous profile with the media, or is it open season on anyone sharing material they have written? would any of us actually say something one of us had written was 'crap' if we were someone other than Ms Brick? disappointed, thought most of us were here to offer support not shoot eachother down.

We all have our knockers. However it is far easier to criticise than to do. And I quite agree with you Suzanne in that reading should be a pleasure and not hard labour. So given that its not Sarte, so what? It doesn’t always have to fulfil deep intellectual conflicts to be an enjoyable (personal)read.

Well said Carol, I am quite disappointed to say the least.

I enjoyed it, had some funny and touching moments, don't think she was going for a Booker prize.