The French language test for French Nationality

You should be able to take the TCF. That one is even easier than the DELF. The TV5 website is great for you to take the exam.

clackā€¦

6 Likes

Reactivating this old thread.

Its looks as if the language requirement for nationality will be raised to B2 in the not far distant future. This clause in the new immigration bill was not rejected by the Constitutional Committee, so is like to make it into law.

Anyone in the process of applying for nationality and having done their B1 test should get their skates on and get the application in! Not to panic, will still be a while off if it happens but donā€™t delay. @AngelaR

2 Likes

Yes I was told that by the lady at the prefecture when I had my interview. June this year apparentlyā€¦.

Neither of us has a hope in hell of getting B2 - not that we canā€™t speak at that level but itā€™s various aspects of exams :roll_eyes:

Our dossiers would be well on the way by now if our certificates had actually arrived from the UK. 3 weeks so farā€¦

A telepath! :slightly_smiling_face: hope she foresaw a successful outcome for you too, as has that already happened?

The Bill only cleared the Committee yesterdayā€¦.

I scraped through under the old rules! She told me to get Jamesā€™s application in asap as this was coming and yes, as the interview was October 2022 she clearly was telepathic!

1 Like

Here is the document from interior ministry about the changes. It lists 4 as having immediate effect, and the new language requirement (top of P11) is not one of them.

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/sites/minint/files/medias/documents/2024-01/Presentation_loi_immigration.pdf

Would it be possible to get some exam experience beforehand? It would be a shame if you couldnā€™t get citizenship because of that.

We got the B1 in the summer but with my partner being dyslexic and unable to spell in either language and me with hearing problems and increasing mental confusion, I donā€™t see how a more advanced level is going to be feasible unfortunately. However, IF those wretched certificates come through in time and we can get our application in before the new level is implemented, we are in with a chance!

5 Likes

Cā€™est notĆ©!

1 Like

Looks like weā€™re already too lateā€¦ :cry:

Never say die! Bulldog spirit!

The Localā€™s coverage includes the following (italics added)

Exemptions - anyone who has completed higher education in a French-speaking country can present their degree certificate, no matter how old it is. There is also an exemption for refugees over the age of 70 and people whose health does not permit them to take an exam. A previous exemption for all over 65s was scrapped in 2020.

When the new requirements reach your Prefecture - whenever that is - might you benefit from that exception?

Why? Have you seen something new?

I could be wrong but I thought that since M. Macron had promulgated the law on Saturday, that was it? So now itā€™s just getting all the rules out to the Prefecturesā€¦

The key word is ā€œrefugeesā€, and health exemption has a high bar and has to be certified

No, no, noā€¦.donā€™t despair. I will go and read it to see what implementation is proposed for that specific article!

Thank you so much, @JaneJones ā€¦ perhaps Iā€™ll put off heading for the brandy a bit longer thenā€¦

Oh have one anyway!

Here you areā€¦only done a quick scan but I think all the language stuff is in article 20, so according to article 86 for that to come into force needs a decision by the conseil dā€™Ć©tat - which must be done no later than January 2026

Breatheā€¦.

2 Likes

Thank you thank you! Iā€™d better send off for yet more certificates since the first ones never arrived and get stuck into all the restā€¦

1 Like