The French village that fears for its British community - BBC

Alet-Les Bains dans l’Aude

2 Likes

Thanks for posting Mandy, it’s very good to read reports from the ‘French side’ of things. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You beat me to it Mandy, I’ve just read it it’s a really interesting article.

2 Likes

Saw this, this morning before my early dash out…

Many, many villages, towns, communes… across France are or will be… similarly affected.

Frankly, for those who have been in the French system for years, taken on through the correct route at the time “sortant d’un pays UE” ( or whatever the wording is)… for them, I cannot understand why everything must be revisited… at the moment of Brexit.

There will be tears before bedtime, I fear… but not mine… I foresee a long stay (for the 2 of us) in our cellar, where we will drown our sorrows and wait for sanity to regain its proper place… :joy::thinking::hugs::rofl:

2 Likes

I hope sense will prevail Stella as my biggest fear is I may be buying a house in France I can never hope to actually live in!

Now then Brian… I see no reason why you should have any problem living here in France… honestly…

At the moment there is unrest, because no-one knows what’s what… but… things will sort themselves out.

You would not have had any problem, before UK joined the EU… so there is no reason, on earth, why you should have any problem even if Brexit comes about.

Oh, and you may have missed it elsewhere… but I have already mentioned that after the Referendum… oh so long ago, it seems… the Maire came to see me and reassure himself that we were NOT leaving and that… regardless… we would continue to involve ourselves in the Commune and surroundings… as we have for nearly 20 years…

It could be partly due to the fact that he is partial to my homemade chocolates… mmm :hugs:

3 Likes

If we avoid crashing out with no deal there will be until the end of 2020 at least to enjoy freedom of movement which should be enough for Brian to get himself and his partner established in France.

Possibly, if transition is extended we could have to the end of 2022.

Even without a deal if he is retiring, meets the income minimums and can arrange health insurance there should be relatively little formality to getting a CdS.

But you can see why people are getting nervous.

4 Likes

Stella, I said fear rather than reality they are different things. If push comes to shove we will just apply to become French citizens if need be. I’m not afraid to fight for my rights believe me. I sued the MoD through every court in the UK and then the ECHR, and won my unfair dismissal case against them, whilst working for another Government Department so I’m not afraid to fight for my rights have no fear of that. Lol

4 Likes

There are plenty of immigrants in France from outside of the EU. The worst case scenario is that Brits will be treated like Australians, Americans etc. I think there’s been a lot of panicking that’s not really warranted especially by those Brits who have lived in France for donkeys years.

4 Likes

We came here before ‘freedom of movement’. Had to visit the French embassy in London, had to declare every item of furniture we were bringing with the cost of each item. Everything had to be in triplicate and stamped by customs.
Once we arrived we had to register at the Mairie, had to provide proof of residence plus details of bank accounts held in the UK, plus any other savings, plus deatils of bank account in France!
Had to ‘import’ our old car, the gendarmes kindly visited to make sure all was in order!
We had to apply for CDS. Had to register for a doctor for health care etc; etc;
So, what I am saying is , if it was all possible before then it will still be possible after Brexit, stop panicking folks, we did it so can you !

4 Likes

Non EU citizens who have been living in France régulièrement for 10 years have the right to stay (it’s 5 years for EU citizens but then we won’t be  EU citizens post Brexit). If you have lived in France for 20 years you whether or not régulièrement you can also stay so I think you are completely correct that people who have lived in France for many years will not be required to up sticks and leave.

But I think a lot of people are genuinely worried that the £ will fall too far for them to be able to afford to stay, or that the S1 will be withdrawn and they will have to pay for healthcare (not sure if true for those who have stayed long enough to acquire residency rights).

1 Like

The financial aspect is an issue of course but currency fluctuations are likely to happen with or without Brexit. I thought, though, that it had been confirmed that the S1 system would continue no matter what kind of Brexit. I didn’t just make that up did I??!!

I believe that you are correct - but people will still worry about it.

1 Like

Well Paul it stops them worrying about all those leaves floating around :rofl:

4 Likes