The fun of importing UK 2nd Hand Car to France post Brexit

I don’t disagree with any of your points above, but have witnessed the insanity that can ensue when either a blind-sided RHD car driver or a very timid one is travelling (usually too close) behind a slow moving farm vehicle and is unable or unwilling to overtake it, and members of the following convoy decide to overtake everything that’s in front of them without checking to see if anyone else behind them has had the same idea.

I think there are daft/insane drivers on the roads… no matter whether they are driving RHD or LHD… the accident/death numbers in recent days have been awful and don’t appear to be related to where the steering wheel is situated…

3 Likes

Interesting reading; and all normal as far as I can make out. Apart from the headlights. You don’t need to change those as stick on ones (in the correct place) are acceptable according to the CT regs. ( Defaillances: ‘’ Code 4.1.2.a.2 L 'orientation d’un feu de croisiement n’est pas dans les limites precrites par les exigences. Feu prevu pour une conduite a droite, a l’exeption de ceux equipes d’un dispositif rendant le faisceau plat (ex: adhesif masquant ou dispositif specifique du feu) ‘’ Cars are so expensive here; its still almost worth paying the 33% on top and re registering.

Interesting reading; and all normal as far as I can make out. Apart from the headlights. You don’t need to change those as stick on ones (in the correct place) are acceptable according to the CT regs. ( Defaillances: ‘’ Code 4.1.2.a.2 L 'orientation d’un feu de croisiement n’est pas dans les limites precrites par les exigences. Feu prevu pour une conduite a droite, a l’exeption de ceux equipes d’un dispositif rendant le faisceau plat (ex: adhesif masquant ou dispositif specifique du feu) ‘’ Cars are so expensive here; its still almost worth paying the 33% on top and re registering. As for driving a RHD vehicle - I find it infinitely easier and never have had problems - or an accident as a result, in 30 odd years.

2 Likes

Interesting to see if anyone has done this recently - I know initially people were having issues and failing CT. The fitting of the headlights was free as front bumper was being repaired. The headlights however were expensive! I am not that keen on beam déflectors, OK for holiday use but I would prefer to have the full light output correctly aligned.

A very fair comment.
Beam benders, properly aligned, are still legal as far as I’m aware and I reckon @anon90504988 would have alerted us to any change to CT regs.

At the very least, beam benders (properly aligned) help the vehicle obtain a CT for Registration purposes.
Subsequently, the Owner is able to relax and take some time to locate replacement lights at “the best price” to suit one’s pocket…

Good grief. Isn’t brexit wonderful. Registering my MX5 and Range Rover a while back seems so easy by comparison. I won’t be doing that again!

1 Like

We have, in the past six months, as have most of our friends. The headlights do not need replacing. You quote that section of the CT handbook. Some garages are not aware.

1 Like

Here’s the reaction to beam deflectors at the local CT station the first time they dealt with my car. (It passed.) lights - YouTube

1 Like

Best CT I’ve ever seen was for a very old car… the technicien scratched his head as he wandered around it…
Well, it obviously goes, it’s got lights and it stopped so it must have brakes. Hmmm…
After checking elsewhere, he came back and announced he needed to weigh it…
Hurrah… seems it had neither gained nor lost weight and he was pleased to give the car a Pass… :rofl: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

A photo of success:

Number plates fitted.

5 Likes

Nice one @Mat_Davies :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Thanks for the in depth walkthrough on the process. Two questions spring to mind that I’m not sure have been answered.
Would there be any reason not to wait 6 months in country before registering the vehicle? Driving the car on British plates, etc.
Also, as we’re moving in April and planning on taking a car load, is there a particular way of declaring that its a house move? Or do I just smile nicely at the gendarmes/douane?

What makes you think you can wait 6 months???

https://immatriculation.ants.gouv.fr/demarches-en-ligne/immatriculer-pour-la-premiere-fois-un-vehicule-en-france

You are allowed 1 month from when you bring the car into France… and many Insurance companies will only insure the vehicle if they are confident it is in the process of being Registered.

2 Likes

You can’t wait six months you have to re register it on arrival - within three months and it takes at least that to get it through the process… as Stella says… why would you think you could wait six months?

1 Like

You have to declare it as a houseful/chattels and declare all that you are carrying in triplicate with estimated values; with your proof of address and the magical utilities bill relating to your home … it doesn’t cost anything - but if you try and pull the wool they will pull you over every time you cross that border and empty your car onto the tarmac … and may charge you duty/vat while they are at it. If you are re registering your car, you have to present the certificate of conformity; you have to show the chassis number and details on your Inventory of chattels (whether at the border or your local Douane) and they will take a copy of it for their records. No paperwork: no 846A ; no re registration therefore no insurance and a quick way to hassle. Life is bureaucratic enough here without digging a bigger hole than you need to. Think you need to look at this: Transferring your primary residence to France | Portail de la Direction Générale des Douanes et Droits Indirects.

By doing this would you hope to avoid paying the import tax?
I did wonder about leaving the car at a friend’s house in UK for 6 months after buying before bringing it over - but even after this I don’t think you can avoid paying import duties unless you have only moved to France very recently - but I may be wrong.

1 Like

If you will be arriving on a visa, the visa itself would indicate a house move.

1 Like

No; you won’t avoid it. You can only bring in vehicles that have been in your possession for 6 months or more without duty if you include it on the list of chattels. However, cars are so expensive here it’s worth paying the duty and you will still be quids in. If you are buying from a mate they can ‘reduce’ the price on the invoice (as you will have to produce that) and thereby reduce your costs?

I had to take my car with me to the Douanes - if the invoice was outside of being reasonable I am sure they would have valued it themselves using French values so beware.

1 Like