The Good Old Days?

@Paul Flinders For most I suspect the good old days were when they were young. I entirely agree with you Paul when you are young you did see things through rose-tinted glasses. All the better. Getting older one can get cynical and wary.

Wiki has not got it quite right there. I remember “Whispering Bob” being asked that question by Steve Miller on the Old Grey Thistle up the Vest, and his response was about the cleaning ladies: the “chars” or “old greys” who were always about Tin Pan Alley in those days. The music of the day was written: no recordings. All agents could play the piano, so when they received a new piece of music and were unsure if it would be a hit, they’d play it to Mrs Mop and, if she could whistle it straight off, it was catchy and in with a chance.

more like “the good young days”… when we were young and full of beans

1 Like

“Youth is wasted on the Young”
                                      George Bernard Shaw 1931 (allegedly)

1 Like

Memory is very selective - especially when tinged with nostalgia. Live for the present - it’s all there really is.

3 Likes

I was 3-10 during the 1970’s. My main memory of that decade is… Brown. Brown patterned Wallpaper, brown corduroy trousers, just a brown feeling for that decade … Etc

1980’s much better for me re music and style.

I don’t look back and feel any nostalgia, (apart from the day before the referendum result :))

Martin

4 Likes

My Good Old Days… were probably before yours… earliest Pop memory is the Six Five Special…which my elder siblings watched avidly with me on the sidelines.

1 Like

Stella, was that before or after TV was invented…? :slight_smile:

Martin

1 Like

My father was lucky enough to have one of the very first TV’s which ran on hot-air and home-made ginger beer…:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::grin::grin:

4 Likes

Actually you saying that about tv, I remember my dad buying some coloured see through plastic, green near the bottom and blue near the top, sticking it on the B&W tv, to give it some colour… (This is true)

Martin

Martin… I wouldn’t update until late 70’s when I saw how much nicer Come Dancing was in colour… :hugs:

I should add, that OH and I had been given a black&white TV for free… so we had to wait until we could afford/warrant the expenditure…

2 Likes

First thing I saw on the telly, was the Coronation, (no not Victoria), wasn’t very impressed, by the telly or the event, even then at seven :neutral_face:

1 Like

I remember some friends of my parents had one of those and I was impressed that it actually seemed to work.

2 Likes

I guess David, there might of been issues once we got to the desert scene on a cloudy day, with green sand and blue overcast clouds… :slight_smile:

I remember been as a child at the time, amazed by it, especially on B&W Jon Pertwee episodes of Dr Who :slight_smile:

Martin

2 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

That’s it, Chris!! :slight_smile:

Cheers

Martin

I remember watching High Chapparal in B&W, I was off school very poorly with pneumonia, had to be in front of the fire downstairs so it was put on to ‘make me feel better’. Whatever happened to Blue boy and Manolito ? :wink:

I was 6 to 16 during the 70s…moving from the city to suburban to a semi-rural location with my dad’s job…being allowed to stay up late to watch his company’s advert on TV…watching him get ultra stressed at being put in a “hard-sell” position with his elderly clients who loved him and he couldn’t bring himself to do the “hard sell”…watching him worry himself sick over the poll tax…The first concert I ever attended was The Stranglers…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first concert I ever attended was The Stranglers…x

Just watching Led Zep celebration day on Sky arts, good memories of Knebworth in 1979 :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I saw Led Zeppelin and The Stranglers. Led Zeppelin was in London, at Earls Court, The Stranglers a few years later was a much smaller affair in a small venue in either Brighton or Bournemouth. I lived between the two and sometimes we went east for the weekend, sometimes west.

2 Likes