The Great Outdoors

What I believe is a female (turns out it could also be an immature male) of the Sympetrum family of dragonfly, emerging from the nymph on an iris in our pond. Unfortunately, the photo isn’t sharp enough, and I’m certainly not expert enough, to decide which of 4 main ones found in France it is (méridional, rouge sang, rayé, or à nervures rouges).

3 Likes

A different dragonfly, taken this morning, this time laying eggs in the moss and hessian covering around our pond, just above the waterline.

6 Likes

This little chap was helping himself to our walnuts when he fell into a plastic bath with sides too high to climb. I carried him down the garden and sent him on his way, I think he’ll be back!

7 Likes

So that’s who keeps nicking my nuts !

1 Like

Is that a rat or a fat mouse or something else? (Shudder - I’m so not good with rodents after living through an Aussie mouse plague as a little kid!)

1 Like

Dear little wood mouse by the look of it.

1 Like

Yep, such a sweet little thing.
I read somewhere that if you have mice you dont get rats, I hope so :grimacing:

1 Like

Found this one in the living room. Very cute but but had to be sent on its way.

2 Likes

A rustling sound gave away the presence of this small toad on the terrace. He seems to have spotted his prey on the wall above him.

5 Likes

I’m jealous. Toads don’t share themselves rustlingly with me. Croak. :pensive:

1 Like

They are shy and I meet them only by accident, much to their discomfort. This one disappeared completely a minute later.

2 Likes

And tend to be conceited:

The world has held great heroes,
As history books have showed;
But never a name went down to fame
Compared with that of Toad!

The clever men at Oxford
Know all there is to be knowed.
But none of them know half as much
As intelligent Mr. Toad!

2 Likes

3 Likes

This hare has taken up residence at the bottom of our garden steps, and literally spends all afternoon at the moment sunning him/herself. Absolutely not frightened of us at all, so much so that both I and my OH nearly stood on it 2 days ago, so well did it blend in with the surroundings.

5 Likes

Just managed to save this from the dogs the other night, number are down in blighty

2 Likes

Could it be injured?

I don’t think so, it managed to scamper off the other day, and it was very twitchy earlier today when I got too close. It seems to have made its “lays” in several parts of the garden as we can see where the ground has been pressed down.

1 Like

2 Likes

this little friend has been scrambling all over the place today…

3 Likes

Here’s “Mickey” nicking the bird food. Make yourself comfortable, I should :grinning:

6 Likes