šŸ¤© The Next Big Thing. Maybe

Star Trek communicator pin is finally here

I donā€™t know if it can replace the phone entirely, especially as my phone is more of a mini TV, but if it catches on with young people who prefer hands free tech, it may well be the next big thing to buy.

Popped up on my insta!

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this is vapourware. Some of the claims seem a bit suspect. Such as

Ai Pinā€™s speaker system uses a Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF) to create a personally optimized bubble of sound, at a fixed distance, regardless of how soft or loud.

I canā€™t see that anything that small and light could do that, or indeed some of the other claims as well.

Paraphrased from a recent NYT article:

Sam Altman, OpenAIā€™s chief executive, said in an interview that he expected A.I. to be ā€œa huge partā€ of how we interact with computers. He has invested in Humane as well as another A.I. company, Rewind AI, that plans to make a necklace that will record what people say and hear. Heā€™s also discussed teaming up with Jony Ive, Appleā€™s former chief designer, to create an A.I. gadget with a similar ambition to Humane.

Humane has the advantage of being the first of those A.I.-focused devices to become available, but Mr. Altman said in an interview that was no guarantee of success. ā€œThat will be up to customers to decide,ā€ he said. ā€œMaybe itā€™s a bridge too far,ā€ he said, ā€œor maybe people are like, ā€˜This is much better than my phone.ā€™ā€ Plenty of technology that looked like a sure bet ends up selling for 90 percent off at Best Buy, he added.

Humaneā€™s goal was to replicate the usefulness of the iPhone without any of the components that make us all addicted ā€” the dopamine hit of dragging to refresh a Facebook feed or swiping to see a new TikTok video. They experimented in secret with hardware components and built a virtual assistant, like Siri or Alexa, working with customized language models based, in part, on OpenAIā€™s offerings.

The deviceā€™s most sci-fi element ā€” the laser that projects a text menu onto a hand ā€” started inside a box the size of a matchbook. It took three years to miniaturize it to be smaller than the size of a golf tee.

The device is arriving at a time when excitement and skepticism for A.I. hit new highs each week. Industry researchers are warning of the technologyā€™s existential risk and regulators are eager to crack down on it.

Yet investors are eagerly pouring cash into A.I. start-ups. Before Humane even released a product, its backers had valued it at $850 million.

The full article here:

Iā€™m not at all convinced. They use ā€˜AIā€™ generously, which is a buzzword for all those U.S investors that donā€™t want to miss the boat, and $850 million is peanuts in real terms.
This sort of thing floats and then sinks every day in the U.S. Look up Theranos for an idea of how easy it is to fool people.

Not interested unless it can transport people elswhere :blush:

1 Like

The sort of thing that makes me pleased that, at 80, I am nearer the exit than the entry. :joy:

1 Like