The Oldie, Humour, Revelations, and, clickbait

Every couple of weeks or so a copy of The Oldie lands in my inbox and I guard it jealously to read hours, or even days, later, depending on how much is going on here (SF) and elsewhere.

I have never paid for it, and always resist blandishments to do so, because I have a one man feud with the magazine. Happily they don’t know of this feud so keep on sending it to me. The reason for the feud is, I assume, the same reason why I keep getting a copy. Many years ago I sent a series of extremely witty (my italics :roll_eyes:) articles to it all of which were rejected. However, rejected in the most charming and polite manner with what appeared to be a personal message. Nevertheless, as I have never submitted anything anywhere else I have no idea if this is the norm or if they are really nice people.

It often takes ages to read, there is so much good stuff. In the current arrival the ironic humour of a Giles Coren interview, a fascinating revelation of the sinking of a German liner in 1945 by a Russian U-boat with the loss of perhaps 8,000 men women and children in the desperate scramble from the advancing Russians towards the end of WW2, in a scene on the dockside with babies being thrown, hopefully to safety, reminiscent of the more recent exit from Kabul. A terrible event that I had never heard of. BTW the submarine commander, a very successful hero of the fleet was later sent to a gulag, not for this but because he was suspected of being a not very good communist. :astonished:

And the 3rd article referred to in my title?

RIP Frank Williams, the Dad’s Army vicar, aged 90 - by ‘stupid boy’ Ian Lavender

I was really interested in a personal view of this lesser known member of Dad’s Army, apart from Lavender himself, I believe the last surviving member of the cast and not so often written about. Not a word about Frank Williams, not the tribute I expected, but much that was very interesting about all the others. So I enjoyed it with a strange sense of being conned.

Whoever thought that such ‘really nice people’ would stoop to clickbait, or even feel that their publication was in such desperate need of such underhand tactics? :confused: