The Queen's Jubilee - A Time To Celebrate?

Whether you a lover or hater of the Monarchy as an institution is the Jubilee a time for celebration and thanks for the service the Queen has given to the UK and does this engender some pride in the country of your birth?

3 Likes

No and no to your questions

3 Likes

Yes

Not any more sadly

1 Like

Very genuine video tribute adressed personally to the Queen by President Macron.
Viewable on youtube.
Bound together by neighbourly love or mutual loathing Johnson i wonder!
Has peace broken out after fishing wars?

In my view, anyone who devotes their life to the service of others deserves respect.
I am delighted to see Queen Elizabeth II is enjoying the festivities so far… and I wish her well.

8 Likes

She probably preferred the horse! But the Macron’s have always been positive about the Queen, like so many French. I quite liked the sting in his speech too.

I just feel it a slight shame that the jubilee didn’t take the opportunity to have an aspect that celebrates achievements of all older people and make it more inclusive.

1 Like

Unlike the 4 year idiots ruining the country, Elizabeth has given 70 years of hers to public life. Yes a privaledged position but who among us would want that length of employment in a single job.
I am off to Party at the Palace tomorrow evening and really looking forward to it.

7 Likes

Yes, a time to celebrate an incredible woman.

11 Likes

Indeed, a truly incredible woman - having to deal with all the experiences she’s had to go through and remain so devoted and committed. I’m not sure too many could have dealt with that, or indeed wanted to.

8 Likes

Yes and yes.

Watched all the pomp and pageantry on TV as the human race will never see another British monarch serve their people and country for 70 years.

11 Likes

Definitely

1 Like

A totally nasty and unnecessary remark.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I think you’ve read it differently to me

Hmm… I saw this remark merely to suggest that the question was aimed at UK or ex-UK folk… to get their feelings on the subject.

I seriously doubt that it was intended as an insult/nasty/whatever…

2 Likes

It was certainly not intended that way Nigel, I just thought non-Brits may not be interested.

1 Like

It’s often interesting to have a different view. I think she has represented continuity and stability throughout a fairly interesting 70 years and that she is also very representative of a generation that simply doesn’t exist any more, for better or for worse.
Après elle le déluge, someone might say.

I was born in Scotland by the way, so I hope that allows me to comment.

5 Likes

Macron was, probably plenty of other world leaders, influencers and other folk too. Ill judged maybe?
Still there is a man on the bus complaining rathrr than dpenfing all the money celebrating the Queens achievement they should have incresded his social security payment.

To stop any further misunderstanding I’ve amended the opening post.

3 Likes

A non-brit here, but having grown up with the queen, I think she brings much more than many realise to British culture, and her departure will be a tremendous loss. An even bigger one if the republicans get their way to make the monarchy irrelevant or even eradicated post-Liz.

Preparing the village yesterday:

These were all on the phone. I’m tasked with doing some ‘proper’ pictures this afternoon.

7 Likes