The root cause

The world is watching Gaza but the problem is much wider and all of it needs addressing

Isreal may have the declared support from other countries, for now, but they are not winning any lasting sympathy.

It’s all very sad what is happening now in this day and age. But has the World and mankind really changed that much? European countries have done the same to Jewish communities over the centuries. I imagine that most Christian and Islamic countries are happy not having large Jewish communities it was so after WWII. Maybe the European Christian countries have a collective guilt complex where Israel is concerned.

You may have put your finger in it.

Goes quite a way towards explaining why, for years, the Israeli government as well as some settlers, have been able to do to Palestinians what anywhere else would have been loudly condemned. That it was not is a large part of why the Arab world defends the Palestinians, and by extension Hamas.

Some useful advice here

My infallible way to spot disinformation is if it’s on social media.
Edit: I’m talking Facebook, Twix, etc.

3 Likes

Plus the very, very strong Jewish lobby in the USA.

Anything reported by anyone on any media platform is deeply suspect.

Why? Because everything can be faked today.

That’s a bit like saying that whatever anyone says to you, you’ll assume it’s probably a lie because people can lie. Not really a very good way to navigate life.

1 Like

Fortunately Israel & the Jews do not need your sympathy or even understanding… It did them no good in the past as most well understand & appreciate.

Trust is built slowly and lost instantly.

Once you’ve told me a porkie, I’m going to trust your word as much as that of a CCP spokesman.

2 Likes

This is why it is necessary to check several different sources. Possibly means a few sad hours doomscrolling through at least 8 different online and hard copy sources. Online can give immediacy but sometimes the first report is incorrect, or deliberately misleading, as in the Russian report after the hospital explosion. So, it needs rechecking. Also, as wide a choice of news company sources as possible. UK papers often just parrot each other.

After some time and (obsessive) research it is possible to find trustworthy sources but still always a good idea to compare one with another.

Somehow, I cannot turn away and just not know what is happening in the further world.

Something written by Hannah Arendt in 1972 ‘Crises of the Republic’ speaks of the dangers mankind (again) faces in these challenging times

The historian knows how vulnerable is the whole texture of facts in which we spend our daily life; it is always in danger of being perforated by single lies or torn to shreds by the organized lying of groups, nations, or classes, or denied and distorted, often carefully covered up by reams of falsehoods or simply allowed to fall into oblivion. Facts need testimony to be remembered and trustworthy witnesses to be established in order to find a secure dwelling place in the domain of human affairs.

In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true . … The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.

[I was reading this because Arendt’s statement, “The death of human empathy is one of the first and most revealing signs of a culture that is about to fall into barbarity.” was recently quoted at the UN.]

2 Likes