The Traitors. (Please no spoilers unless you blur them)

By chance I am back in the UK for the moment. So I have watched the first two episodes totally legally on a TV which has a valid licence, But I’m going back to France soon and won’t be able to follow it. Last year I was in England for most of the winter so could sit down and watch it with my kids from start to finish.

I understand why it is not legally watchable outside the UK. I cannot help thinking that things might have been different if the UK had not flounced out of the EU,

Gus

Not sure flouncing has anything to do with BBC policy that only license-holders in uk can watch The Traitors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No you don’t have to beat yourself up Being in the EU or not rights to TV programs are still given by country. Same as banking licences are issued by country even within the EU.

1 Like

There’s talk about some sort of digital fee that would allow legal access outside of the UK.

Unless BBC has sold it to France and agreed transmission rights then not watchable without a VPN. Nothing to do with Brexit as was ever thus.

Quite a lot on YouTube tho’.

I have Freesat in France which gets most channels and can watch anything on ITV, BBC, Channel 4 etc

2 Likes

Same, we have a satellite and a box, 100% legal, no probably not. Do I loose sleep over it? No.

As with banking licences as you mentioned, there is actually passporting with TV rights within the EU. Pre-Brexit Sky used to offer 30 days availability of their streaming service outside of the UK, so you could legitimately watch in your second home or motor home in a different country. After 30 days it shut off until you watched something in the UK (or they thought you were in the UK). The beeb chose not to sign up to the passporting scheme as, since they were publicly funded they had an opt-out that everyone else didn’t. They could’ve done, they chose not to. Perhaps entirely legitimately because it would be too difficult, perhaps purely for PR or political reasons. It’s also the reason places like Turner House in soho where I worked very early in my career, and MTV NE in Camden stopped being the central hub for all of Discovery/TimeWarner Europe and Viacom Europe’s channels and operations and had to move their European hubs within the EU after Brexit; the passporting stopped so they couldn’t broadcast cross border anymore.

Mostly politics I guess. Imagine the hooha Reform Uk would have raised about “British taxpayers funding free telly for rich expats and foreigners”…

2 Likes

I believe it is 100% legal .. It’s on the airwaves and not encrypted .and therefore fair game. If the French State made it illegal to watch stuff transmitted from abroad ..then it becomes illegal, but the British or Germans or whoever cannot ban someone in another country ..That’s what sovereignity means . On the other hand if it is encrypted and you use a tool or code to decrypt it .. BBC or Sky or Canal+ can go after you under deliberate theft of intellectual property .. You have deliberated opened a lock…so it’s criminal trespass etc .

1 Like