The upside to Covid... 🤔

After the horrors of Covid I think the accelerated R&D it spurred will create untold benefits in more accurate, targeted drug therapy, mRNA stuff etc. (as we scientists :joy: say) .

It has changed the R&D landscape certainly, but it’s a mixed blessing. Some businesses found they had facilities that were becoming idle & scrabbled around for new projects to fill their pipelines. Others massively increased staffing and facilities to deal with the emergency and are now laying off large numbers of staff. I know of key international businesses that have cancelled their future vaccine development programs, and also businesses that made equipment and materials supporting testing have laid off staff in large numbers. Finding a job in the biological sciences is fairly challenging right now.

But an upside is that some technologies that were developed will have a wider ranging application than SARS Cov2.

Yes I’m sure it’s boosted all kinds of vaccine research.

There’s a lot going on in medical research that we don’t always know about - a local charity that I support (Topic of Cancer) are helping to fund research at the University of Surrey and Royal Surrey Hospital into immunotherapy in tackling cancer - finding ways to stimulate the body’s own immune system to help it more effectively target with cancer cells and bypass cancer cells’ defence mechanisms.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the key for me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As the cancer cells pull in T cells for their mitochondria in order to increase the cancer cells activity it seems a tough thing to beat.

1 Like

https://www.topicofcancer.org.uk/research/immunotherapy/

1 Like

Not quite as straightforward as they make it sound but hopefully they will get somwhere.
The cancer reaches out to T cells to get the mitrochondria, this makes the cancer cell look more like normal cells the the immune system leaves it alone. Maybe if they can stimulate enough T cells it could overwhelm the cancer rather than be assimilated faster causing more growth? With the increased rates of growth in all cancers the real cause, possibly one of the eleven food giants making crap proccessed foods could be stopped from using ingredients that cause inflamation in the first place?