The Veggie Challenge

I have bullrushes, reeds, flag irises and meadowsweet progressively down the area immediately near the filtration. Plants really do filter the 'muck' and actually use very little water, mainly like their 'feet' wet.

ah...new neighbours down the road, a lovely young French couple have just built a new house and have also decided on reed beds....really impressive...

They sound really nice - I love chestnuts. Recipe please?!

Happycow http://www.happycow.net/europe/france/ doesn't do a bad job of sniffing out veggy places.

The stat bears out the hypothesis:

England 930, Germany 820, Italy 564, Spain 422

France 317 (of which Paris 85, Nice 20,Toulouse 13, everywhere else <10),

Batch cooking is our saviour. There are just some days where you need something to eat in a rush. At this time of year we collect chestnuts and have a day of slog turning them into chestnut sausages for the freezer. It's a bit of a bind for a day but then we have sausages for the rest of the year. In addition to the yearly batch cooking of different foods, all our left over curries, ratatouille, soup, chilli etc get frozen for eating later or turning into something else. We then supplement all of the above with veggie haggis, burgers, mince, baked beans, tattie scones etc etc which we buy on our holidays in the UK or from the local "British" shops.

Their diets are absolutely perfect. Nothing, they neither lose nor gain a gramme!

OK Liz, but you were not very clear there, so I misunderstood. Yes, agree with Carol and you and that is what we do. In fact, we use spring water from our deep well for our supply most of the time anyway, which all goes through our bac degraisseur, the filtration beds and on downhill in the direction of the brook that goes back to the river. So one way or another it heads back to water rather than the terrible wasteage of a sewage plant where too little of the water is re-extracted. However, we only flush when necessary and use a hand shower that we aim at ourselves unlike the luxurious and wasteful florettes too many people use. Animals mainly use only as much water as they need anyway, so I guess we are fine with that.

great...love it Steve...!

I don't know about Mme Okawa, but I gather that lots of the Japanese people aged over 100 are actually dead, it's just that the family wanted to keep getting the pension! I love stats.

Brian, I think you miss understood me! I meant the animals using more water. Have a look at this page

http://www.waterfootprint.org/?page=files/home

Carol, we are going to do just that at the house we are restoring, reed beds for filtering the grey water to recycle and water the garden!

the use of grey water makes a huge difference......I think new houses should be built with that in mind using grey water to flush loos and go towards watering the garden..

Thanks Maria - I have to stay I stay well away from the Bio aisles - with three kids all eating adult sized portions it's simply not financially viable. We make our own veggie burgers etc. too but a quick look at Tesco reveals 115 - yes 115! - meat free products in the frozen section alone and all at affordable prices. I do think there is much less of a veggie culture here in France and that is reflected in the range of products on offer.

Oh well! Back to soaking my lentils.... :)

Not sure about the water. We have an optimal intake required, which varies depending on how we take it (coffee dehydrates, tea to a lesser extent with green tea better and white tea best). Most human beings could manage on about two mugs of water in a temperate climate, around 1 1/2 litres in a hot dry place. We waste far more water showering, especially people who do it twice or more a day whereby only a small percentage of the water does anything whatsoever - that applies to people of all dietary habits.

I make a pretty good bean burger! I never bought ready made meals in the UK and so never miss them! But there are some ready made veggie products in health food shops but never tried them.

I agree! Also they are rarely ill and seem to miss out on the Gastro! So apart from doing the planet good, saving water, not only for the animal but also to grow their food, a veggie diet is healthier but greener too!

I think there is also a lack (compared to the UK at least) of vegetarian products. Making your own is all well and good but sometimes you need a ready made bean burger!

Actually Carol, thinking about the hard core, the lentil and nut cutlet brigade, not much has changed :-)

I thought it probably was, but wasnt sure.

The woman who recently died in Indonesia who was 112 or 114 (with brith certificate and all) was a lifelong veggie. She had asthma all of her life as well. We are a contradictory species.

Misawo Okawa in Japan who is 114 and still going strong has eaten very little red meat ever, mainly fish in her diet. It would be interesting to know about the others, those over 120 especially. One thing that is for sure, none of the was overweight if you look at pictures.

Originally it appears that nuts and early (wild) legumes would have been.