The wonders of Proust

(Jonathan Barclay) #1

In order to avoid the tensions that arise in any political discussion, I wondered if we could move to French literature and, specifically, Marcel Proust and whether other SFN members thought either:

1. Proust was the most insightful writer that ever lived, is endlessly fascinating, and used the most beautiful French

2. Proust was a pretentious intellectual snob

3. Proust was someone who wrote a long book satirised in a Monty Python sketch and is best avoided

I suspect that with little prospect of linking this to IDS/WPF/SNP or other such acronyms this discussion, unlike A La Recherche may not extend to many pages

(Jonathan Barclay) #2

Totally agree about him being very funny. His humour is all the more striking as it is usually very concise and pointed but may follow a long detailed description during which, with the best will in the world, one's attention can wander.

(Jane Williamson) #3

Absolutely.

(Véronique Langlands) #4

Oh how splendid, did he go as far as having the little moustache & the sleek hair?

(Jane Williamson) #5

There used to be a lecturer, Gordon Inkster, at the University of Lancaster who dressed as Proust to give his lectures on the subject.

(Véronique Langlands) #6

4. Proust was a very sharp social observer and very very funny as well as marvellous.

I shall have a madeleine dipped in my tilleul & hope inspiration strikes me too. & as I can't call myself Marcel I shall wear one.