The wonders of Proust

In order to avoid the tensions that arise in any political discussion, I wondered if we could move to French literature and, specifically, Marcel Proust and whether other SFN members thought either:

1. Proust was the most insightful writer that ever lived, is endlessly fascinating, and used the most beautiful French

2. Proust was a pretentious intellectual snob

3. Proust was someone who wrote a long book satirised in a Monty Python sketch and is best avoided

I suspect that with little prospect of linking this to IDS/WPF/SNP or other such acronyms this discussion, unlike A La Recherche may not extend to many pages

Totally agree about him being very funny. His humour is all the more striking as it is usually very concise and pointed but may follow a long detailed description during which, with the best will in the world, one's attention can wander.

Absolutely.

Oh how splendid, did he go as far as having the little moustache & the sleek hair?

There used to be a lecturer, Gordon Inkster, at the University of Lancaster who dressed as Proust to give his lectures on the subject.

4. Proust was a very sharp social observer and very very funny as well as marvellous.

I shall have a madeleine dipped in my tilleul & hope inspiration strikes me too. & as I can't call myself Marcel I shall wear one.