The World of Chicken Soup

I make chicken stock every weekend and thought others of similar bent(?!!) might be interested in this link:-

Bon appétit !

3 Likes

Unfortunately one of those irritating websites that insist you accept all their conditions to view their site…but then nothing is better than my nana’s recipe.

I think most websites now require that, but it shouldn’t be problematic if you tick the right boxes prior to viewing. Nevertheless; you can try these:-

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&cm_sp=SearchF--Advtab1--Results&ds=20&kn=The%20Chicken%20Soup%20Manifesto&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=The%20Chicken%20Soup%20Manifesto

mmmm the spicy peanut one sounds yum! I don’t do a roast chook every week but when i do i make stock, have some in the fridge now actually waiting to be soup! maybe i’ll have a look around online for something a bit more interesting this week after your inspiration!

:yum::grin:

Do not leave it in the fridge too long, Fresh stock
Turnit into minestrone with beans in it and you have a meal.

1 Like

The best way to store it is to freeze the stock in ice cube trays and then bag it up. Very convenient for adding small amounts to sauces.

That’s an excellent idea, @DrMarkH - we tend to freeze it in various sizes of container in order to have a fighting chance of the right amount for a recipe but I haven’t tried using ice-cube trays.

As a matter of interest, do you make the stock from a carcase after e.g. a roast, or buy chicken bits specifically in order to make stock? We tend to need more stock than we actually make :smiley:

Thanks! I learnt it from one of my brothers, who’s a chef. Another chef’s practice that not everyone knows is to roast the stock bones before adding the aromatics and liquid - gives a noticeably deeper richer flavour

We buy a chicken or a pintade every week from the same local producteur, who always gives me a few gesiers and other bits that I use in the stock. Because there are only two of us, I usually joint the chicken and use the legs and breasts in two very different types of dish on consecutive days, then make the stock on the third day.

1 Like

Sounds very much like our approach. The local boucher does excellent chickens and pintades and we always have the gesiers as well. I haven’t contemplated seeing if he might give us extras. The local fish stall is happy to supply bits (not that we need any more fish stock at the moment) although he did ask if we wanted them for our cat, so we had to explain…

I use the bones from a roast. Sometimes I even do 2 then i get a good big pot of stock!

I did buy a packet of wings one year to make jamie Olivers christmas gravy but forgot I had them in the freezer!

We’ve been doing them from a roast too but I was curious as to whether Mark did his from e.g. wings!

The tip about roasting bones is something we found in a Gary Rhodes book relating to lamb. Prior to that any attempts at making lamb stock turned out to be disgusting but the roasting gets rid of excess fat in a good way…

Our dog loves a cup of nice meat stock after his meals…and we get given carcasses & bones for him. Mainly from local hunt, but once or twice a neighbour has handed us a fresh chicken carcass. Dog never got a sniff of the chicken stock! OH doesn’t eat meat, but I do a little bit :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

A related tip re duck jelly-

I confit half a dozen duck legs every third week in a very large Le Creuset casserole (vide- grenier10€). After removing the cofited legs from the pot, I let the remaing fat cool down and then very carefully ladle it out without disturbing the bottom inch or so. When only that bottom inch is left, I pour that into a separate plastic container and let it set in the fridge. All the jelly then separates from the fat to form a thick layer in the bottom of the container. Then one can invert the container, ease the whole block of fat out and slice the layer of jelly off what is now the top of the block.

At this point one must be careful not to eat all the jelly at once! It’s incredibly rich and delicious.

1 Like

I had to recently give away two very large bags of various frozen bones to a friend in the local Ville. After a year of boiling, reducing and freezing, I am “stocked” out!

Made a vege stock yesterday with lots of red onion bits in it - came out a very nice colour :slight_smile:

Mark - thanks for the tip re the jelly. I actually think I had something like that happen a couple of months ago, so I just froze it and thought I would use it on roast potatoes.

Cheers - Steve

Mmmmm you people are making me hungry! Between the peanut soup from earlier and a friends typo I’m making satay chicken and veg for dinner - mmmmmmmm.

I’m hungry too - my partner put a pintade into the oven before we went out to the doc’s and Hugh F-W recipe for roast pintade and apples (with wine and lemon) is just what we need and smells wonderful! (And the carcase will of course be making stock afterwards…)

Our previous dog (a Maltese terrier) very sadly now deceased, used to get the chicken meat off the bone after I’d made stock, she would go crazy when it was being made, jumping up and down and barking shrilly.

Now we have a new dog (a trop mignon caniche grise wth a four A4 pages family tree of champions). Despite this pedigree, unlike her predecessor, she’s fed exclusively on Royal Canin and will never learn the delights of chicken stock or any other human scraps. We adopted a similar regime for our cats, but they’ve discovered that the bottom of the shopping bag that we take to the boulangerie contains croissant crumbs…

Brilliant. Worthy of Don Draper (Mad Men).