Things seem to be working out even worse than I expected

Oh, I understand Gudrun. I didn’t think for a moment you were advocating that fatalistic, defeated attitude to life :slight_smile: Maybe poor old Wales needs a new emblem, more Eeyore than Dragon.

By the way, Marcus Rashford’s current campaign to stop UK kids going hungry this summer reminded me of a recent visit to Kosovo, where I was working with NGOs dealing with severe rural poverty - it would probably shock those people in Wales or North East England that there are kids starving to death in Europe right now.
(Although there has been a recent more hopeful change in government in Kosovo, itself turning away from the same neo-liberal disaster politics.)

There has been a lot of talk lately about about rewriting our history, but that is just a convenient smokescreen for what is happening here and now.
Our present and future is being rewritten and the UK is turning into something we never believed possible.
After all, we are British. Fair play, straight bat, decent values and all that.
Not like those foreign uncivilized places where corrupt politicians happily satisfy their personal greed while destroying the rest of the country.
We’re British, can’t happen here - can it?

As Geoff said this attitude was prevalent in the North East, and you have to see that it is a powerful argument.

Unfortunately I think these areas are going to discover that things can, in fact, be much worse then they wree.

Final score now in: Rashford 1, Government 0.

1 Like

It’s not really a viable method of government though is it?

Policy made on the hoof in response to public pressure on a specific question.

Otherwise know as lurching from (PR) disaster to crisis.

1 Like

Yep. It’s a pity because Wales is such a beautiful place and so much of it isn’t ruined and crowded like the UK, but it’s not in a good situation. I think that Cardiff and Newport have been regenerating well and looking much brighter but altogether, Wales is a bit backed into a corner.

It so ridiculous it’s unbelievable, what’s happening should only happen in films.

Nice little bit of corruption uncovered… Good old Dido Harding and Owen Paterson’s missus being looked after (again) by Hancock in return for a £68,000 bung. Things are getting more blatant day by day.

I have gone off John Gosden now.

Thanks for sharing but I can’t say much (anything) to this that is going to be ‘un-censored’ for the language used, but, do these people have no shame?
Snouts in the trough.

To stop these donations to offices, there should be a government office + 1 public servant PA made available to an elected MP and then there’d be no need for donations (bungs and backhanders).

1 Like

Good looking boy, great footballer, modest demeanour, talks like Prince Harry!
Don’t see much else Boris could have done. But it still hasn’t helped his dwindling reputation. . . .

He could have realised that it was the moral thing to do given that normal avenues of support for low income families with school-age kids such as holiday clubs will not be running and kept the scheme going without having to be publicly pressured into doing so?

Heck just realising that the optics of cancelling the vouchers would be bad and keeping on with the vouchers without being dragged kicking and screaming to do so would have been better.

There is no planning, no forethought, no political “nous”; despite his famous advice on common sense, he appears to lack it himself.

Nope - just falling back on what appears to be the Tory default at the moment - “the poor are poor because they are feckless and deserve to be poor”.

The Tory party is a cesspit - and Johnson is not even the biggest turd.

5 Likes

It’s worth pointing out that Marcus Rashford has been supporting this cause for a while now. He has dipped into his own pocket as well.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/s/marcus-rashford-donating-money-feed-school-children

But just a bit of Captain Mainwaring, I think.
“Well done! I was waiting for someone to come up with that.”
Wonder why none of his ministers or advisers thought of it?

But surely they have Cummings who is supposed to be just soooo in touch with public feeling that he needs a fat salary of public money.
If he was as good as they say and really in touch he would have done the honourable thing with a large sharp sword.

I suppose one cannot expect too much from someone who won’t even acknowledge his own children .

2 Likes

Latest UK govt plan… spend taxpayers’ money on behavioural scientists and publicity campaigns rather than actually doing anything.

There’ll be shock and awe alright, as factories close and companies fold.

1 Like

It was obvious from the outset that Bexit would be a disaster. Sadly people believed the lies. Follow the money. Johnson and Cummings have been dipping into the public purse with millions disappearing, track and trace, satellite system, failing Grayling ferry company with no boats. Odey, Ruffer, Tufton Street think tanks members have all made millions on currency speculation. All these people have cash stashed in tax free havens. They want to turn the UK into one as well. So where does that leave the people. Up the creek without a paddle.

5 Likes