'This is Brexit' - family gets 30 days to leave France

I live in hope then

Shame these people didn’t read this first

1 Like

This post is all over social media. This family claimed French benefits from the CAF which clearly is evidence that they WERE and are ARE a burden on the state. For their CdS application they suddenly became self-employed and expected that to wash with the préfecture. Seriously?

She has fraudulently gained unmerited sympathy on several media platforms and I for one am delighted they’re being chucked out.

Many people who shared her blog have since regretted it on learning the truth behind why they’re CdS applications have actually been refused.

5 Likes

A little correction is needed here, the wife’s AE business was created in June 2017 so they didn’t suddenly become self employed to support their CdS application.

2 Likes

The usual reason for creating a non-earning AE is to obtain free healthcare and benefits.
Sorry to be cynical, but that’s how it is.

1 Like

I thought there were minimum earning limits with AE to stop that situation arising?

Thank you Peter
the little blob in the photo is now 6 months old, & doing everything a lively little blob of that age does
though, thankfully, not in my house :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No.
You’re probably thinking of the new measures introduced with PUMA that plugged the loophole whereby early retirees with a substantial unearned income (investments, rent etc) used to be able to set up an AE, declare business earnings of maybe a few hundred euros a year and pay just a few euros cotisations per year. Nowadays, if a worker (employed or self employed) earns below a certain threshold then any unearned income they have is assessed for healthcare contributions as well (cotisations subsidiaire maladie). But that’s based on the assumption that families that don’t need to bring in a living wage, will have some other regular source of income from their capital or investments. So a family that is spending its savings rather than using the capital to provide a sustainable income, can still set up an AE with a very low turnover or even no turnover at all and gain access to healthcare for the entrepreneur and his/her kids for free or near enough.
I haven’ t looked beyond what was in the Connexion, and from what it said there it’s not obvious how the other partner would have accessed health cover, since PUMA also stopped ayant droit cover for adults. If he has had no health cover, that in itself would make him ineligible for a CdS.

I think the point is that none of this would have arisen if Brexit hadn’t happened. Legal or not, under the radar or not, living on benefits or not, it wouldn’t have mattered. They could have carried on regardless. The truth of this Brexit vote is raising it’s ugly head - you are either legal or you ain’t and if you ain’t then you will be required to leave the EU and go ‘home’. We have no rights or privileges any more, we are at the mercy of politicians. Mind you it could be worse, I could be in England as an EU citizen fighting to get through anti EU pickets at ALDI’s.

2 Likes

Maybe true but this is more due to the fact that the French, almost uniquely in the EU, are very relaxed about people living in their country if they can manage to do so without bringing attention to themselves.

The other country which has hitherto been similarly relaxed is, of course the UK.

I’m not sure they could have got into their current situation in any other country.

1 Like

Where is Bill?

We’ll never know whether this couple were deliberately milking the system or not but it was a huge gamble applying for residency given their alleged circumstances and unfortunately they’ve come unstuck. The only sympathy I have is for the children who may now be uprooted from school and friends.

2 Likes

We moved many times during my school years
 yes, it was unsettling, but it was planned 

How much worse for these kids if uprooting is just dumped on them
 ghastly.

1 Like

Somewhere in Brittany, Fran/Lily. He and his French wife quit SFN about 12 months ago after some kind of spat, can’t recall the details (not with me).

He had sailed the world’s oceans in his small boat, maybe he is doing that now, looking for his goose.

Agreed, Fidelma. And compounded by the UK Governments deliberate(?) obtuseness when it comes to the rights of UK Citizens in Europe and vice-versa.

Surely that’s the point - we are all being let down by an administration that thinks its ok to use us as a negotiating point?

2 Likes

And this seemingly, makes some folks assume that their criticism of others in difficult circumstances, is justified.
I suspect that there’s quite a lot of “fear” behind some of the comments on the Connexion FB page.

Having visited the lady’s business website I feel apprehensive and sympathetic towards her because I think there is an element of babes to the slaughter, she seems totally unprepared on all fronts.
She appears to have created a business website showing her siret number but written totally in English and without any of the obligatory “mentions lĂ©gales” required under French law. DIRECCTE can impose fines of many thousands of euros for having a non compliant business website and they don’t accept ignorance of the law as an excuse.
If she is going to stay in France I think she needs to wake up to her responsibilities and obligations all round.

I’m sorry, and call me a goody two shoes or whatever you want to call me, but I don’t buy this. Are we really saying that it should be OK to break the rules? Does that mean that it’s fine to break all the speed limits as long as you don’t get flashed, cheat the taxman as long as you don’t get caught, etc etc? Are we really saying it doesn’t matter whether a person is legal or not, whether they’re abusing the benefits system or not?
That’s not the kind of society I want to live in.

5 Likes

Fidelma
 I spend a great deal of my time
 helping folk who have “fallen in the mire” for NOT following guidelines etc etc
 (in various aspects of life in France).

Not always, but in many cases . it is simply because they choose NOT to do the necessary things to be “correct/legal” (or whatever is applicable to their situation) here in France.

Too many think “it is OK
 so long as one does not get caught”
 :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and, of course, it is NEVER OK

Many do not get caught
 but that does not make it an open invitation to others to copy their bad example.

and certainly they should not blame everyone/everything but themselves in the event that they DO get caught

(my comments are not aimed at any particular family/person
 but, if the cap fits
 :thinking: )

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong I have been paying into the system here for 13 years, I have done our best to be totally legal and get all the relevant permissions and numbers, EORI, SIRET and otherwise. What annoys me is the majority of the folk on here have no sympathy for someone, admittedly nieve at best is now facing a very uncertain future. (We had no control of Brexit, we couldn’t get the vote no matter how hard we tried.) There will be many more folk like this, retirees, couples who won’t meet the criteria and dead legal, I somehow think that there will be very little sympathy for them either. About as much sympathy that EU migrants will get in the UK?

2 Likes

Fidelma
 I think you may be being a little harsh

In my experience
 folk of every nationality will pull out all the stops to help those in need. They act most generously
 yes, even before "all the facts are known
 " and sometimes in spite of “all the facts”

Anyone who has been here a while, met all criteria etc
 should contact their Mairie 
 if they are concerned about their future situation.

In fact, anyone at all
 go to the Mairie
 be upfront and discuss the current and future situation
 it might prove useful, if only to dispel fear

1 Like