This Trump stuff is very, very dangerous IMO

Is there nobody this lunatic can’t abuse and attack? Frankly, I think Biden’s foreign policy has been a disaster, good work on the economy but internationally a disaster. Maybe Nikki Haley, though I didn’t like her position on issues as UN ambassador (only obeying orders?), could be a way out of a Trumpion melt down.

Trump is miles ahead in the race for the Republican nomination, so I can’t see Nikki Haley or anyone else becoming the nominee for President, unless one of Trump’s many lawsuits sees him actually sent to jail, or otherwise disbarred from office.

It’s entirely baffling why anyone in the US thinks Trump is remotely suitable for office, but then we thought that last time and he still won. He makes Boris Johnson look competent and honest.

2 Likes

It still astonishes me that this appalling man has such a following.
It is a very sad state of affairs that the so called leader of the free world thinks it acceptable to overturn the result of the election and he is then seen as a suitable candidate for President.
The Reith Lecture this year is on the danger to democracy throughout the world.
Very apt.

4 Likes

Steady on :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes and no.

I think America is suffering from a bad case of “Take what you want and pay for it”. Its people have chosen selfishness and divisiveness, encouraged by people like Trump.

2 Likes

If I were China, or Russia, or indeed Iran, I would be overjoyed about using democracy in the US to destroy democracy.
:smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Trump is in serious trouble with multiple lawsuits - he’s running mainly to save his own skin (as President he will either pardon himself or it will be impossible for the actions to proceed).

Trumpism is a cult pure and simple so there is no logic to it - history might see it as one of the larger exemplars as it seems to have sucked in nigh on half the population, including the Republican party. To be honest I wouldn’t mind everyone who voted/might vote for Trump getting what they deserved but a Trump presidency would be a disaster that affects all Americans, even the sensible ones.

He’s ahead in the national polls, but hopefully an actual election will draw enough to their senses to avoid the mistake of putting him back in the White House.

4 Likes

How’s that going to happen? Unless there is a serious, credible Democrat up against him? And I don’t see that on the horizon.

1 Like

I agree - I’m worried about Biden’s fitness to run as well.

But even if the Republicans can find plenty of examples of Biden looking/acting senile then the Democrats can probably match it with Trump’s gaffs so that probably won’t matter too much.

Quite how we ended up with the USA being faced with a choice of two doddering men in their 80’s or nearly so to run the country is beyond me.

At least Biden isn’t a proto-dictator.

3 Likes

Interesting analysis here:-

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/the-americas/what-is-allan-lichtman-s-prediction-for-the-2024-us-presidential-election-1.1109868

1 Like

Part of the problem is the media in the USA. Freedom of speech is one thing but Fox News is another (my daughters father in law listens to Fox News and is a Trump voter probably because he hated Hilary and isn’t a fan of Biden either) and there’s so much disinformation, it’s really quite depressing. China and Russia are going to be playing a big part in this election for sure.

1 Like