Those 'damned' Europeans are going to make our new Passports

I’ll have a green one :shamrock:

1 Like

Who needs Morecambe and Wise when you have Brexit.

3 Likes

Don’t worry your head about mistakes, Harry. Your posts read like the Real Wagtastic and there’s no substitute for that. I think everyone should have to learn Wagtastic, and anyone who isn’t willing or able should be deported to (insert own preferred desolate and escape-proof destination) :star_struck:

I think you misunderstood my post… I was only highlighting the fact that you added an extra ‘t’ in British…:wink:

Us brits can never get enough T especially with buttered crumpets.

4 Likes

Ah, oops - thought that you were making a point about patriotism :slight_smile:

If the existing printers can’t make a successful bid in a market where there is a level playing field- then that has to be down to poor management/ lack of investment which is certainly no justification for giving them the business. Meanwhile , far more important is the hostile takeover of GKN by Melrose and being encouraged by speculative shareholders from America trying to force GKN into selling. The GKN takeover will have serious implications on jobs and Britains long term technological standing in the world- all for a quick shareholder profit, then asset stripped, the carcass of GKN will be sold on by Melrose once they have sucked all the money out of it! The joke is, whilst the govt might exert influence on who prints the passports, they will probably let the GKN takeover go through as ministers make a quick profit on the GKN shares they undoubtedly hold

Just seen an interesting item - Frank Field MP has said that the UK bidder DeLaRue has an enormous pension deficit and he suggests they put in an inflated bid (to try to boost their pension fund ) thinking that Brexiteer jingoism would ensure that they won.
Happily the people currently in power (as opposed to the swivel-eyed loonies baying at their heels) had more sense.

Perhaps the £150m saved by the contract going to a French company will hep towards making up the difference of the loss of £350m per week (if it ever existed) to the NHS promised by bad Boris et al

Before retiring I was a partner in an Australian Publishing Company. One of the interesting side benefits to the EU was that by printing in Hungary we had the advantage of being able to distribute our books throughout the EU without Duties and border fees; Taking into account reduced shipping costs we were able to comfortably beat Chinese quotes.

Just for interest the most expensive EU country for print quotes was the UK by a large margin, and the untrue statement that they were the best printers, did not hold up by a simple check of the equipment they used.

Spain and Italy were also very good, but Hungary was best. One of the benefits of being in the EU - but not with British companies.

As this was way before Brexit it now looks even more that the UK was and remains an uncomfortable ‘fit’