Those tearful airport goodbyes

Goodbyes are so hard when you love someone. I remember back in the seventies my mum asking me one day as we were saying goodbye to dad at Teeside Airport (always working abroad) "Aren't you sad?" and I replied, "A little bit, but I'm more looking forward to him coming home again."

And I think it's one way to deal with it, you can start to build up your excitement to when you see each other again.

The emotion (ie, homesickness) that distance is creating between you and your family is just adding another wonderful love filled facet to your already complex relationship. If you're happy in France, see your separation as a gift and a blessing, nothing to regret at all ! Be the person you are where ever you are, a happily independent loving mother and enjoy all future reunions to the fullest !

I completely sympathise with you. I saw my 20 year old son off at CDG airport last night and I know exactly what you mean. I am about to tackle his bedroom and I know that awful feeling of loss too BUT it's a bit like that saying "If you love something set it free...." he will come back with new experiences and think how proud you will be to hear how he is developing his own life. The worse thing you can do is be a clingy parent.

I know because when we were living in the UK and he was about to go off to uni, I would start crying at all times of the day and in the most random places, even the supermarket. The day we dropped him off I tho ught I would cry all the way back up the motorway but amazingly I didn't! Because....I could see how happy he was and how good the next stage of his life was going to be...

Keeping myself busy is the way that I cope. I have lots of projects on the go in and around the house and socially too.

And before saying goodbye to my sone I had 10 days in the UK seeing family and friends. In a way the goodbyes do get easier although I struggle with feeling guilty that I am not there more for my parents. Realistically when I lived in the UK I didn't see them every month as we were all living in different parts of the UK. Towards the end of the trip I couldn't wait to get back to my life here in France. Be brave!

Hi Gill,

your post brought a litte tear to my eye. I say good by to my 21 year old son often too as I live in vietnam and he lives in Paris. I find it helps if I know that he is happy and feeling positive with his life.. I cant bear saying good bye if I think that he is not. I hope this helps.... if all alse fails.. you could always try leaving his room shut for a few days... then when you go in you can groan at how smelly it is instead!!!