Thunderstorms in your area

Are you having or due thunderstorms or lightning stikes in your area then have a look at this web site that I have just came across, it gives real time information on all parts of Europe.

www.blitzortung.org

3 Likes

That’s really neat - thanks a lot! :grinning:

1 Like

Wow - this is a good use of technology (and fun) :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This is my husband’s favourite site!
We can see storms heading our way.
We were on the outskirts of a major storm the other week, huge hailstones which have trashed the vines in the Maconnais and Beaujolais.

1 Like

Excellent Michael.

Very interesting link.

Last week, we had bad Thunderstorm over here, one the borders of Creuse and Puy de Dome. I use the IOS app, ‘AccuWeather’ which issued me a warning of ‘Dangerous Thunderstorm Alert’.

We thought we were been proactive enough and turned off the main fuseboard and I unplugged my Imac, just incase. As I like watching storms, I rushed out to the front door and watched (doh). There was a massive lightening flash and my other half (who was sensible indoors) saw a flash on the main fuseboard.

After storm, we powered back on, but noticed that some of our tech had been damaged. It was all on the same side of the house, where I guess the excess energy went through the board, to the still plugged (doh) items.

We lost, Blu-Ray dvd surrounded system, French Satellite channel box, the head of the outside satellite dish and in the main tv, the hdmi connection. Total cost was €500.

So, the moral of the story is, unplugged your stuff as well as turning off the main fuseboard.

Cheers

Martin

2 Likes

Ouch.
Is there equipment one can install to minimise risk of damage?
Lightning rod, etc?

Hello Peter,

Heard about Surge Protecters ( https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/what-makes-a-good-surge-protector-part-1/) which might of helped. However I think even that might not of helped for us.

Next time, will glue our cat to the roof, stick a piece of metal on its tail and see if that helps… :frowning:

Cheers

Martin

2 Likes

Hehe, neighbours cat is often at my place…

Thanks Martin, I already have that thing protecting my computers. TV and other devices not.

1 Like

Thanks Michael

Very helpful and timely post. Fire-spitting link scary!

1 Like