Timewalker with Words

so many joint memoies here David - albeit from a totally different social level.
Incredibly my first car was precsiely the same as yours although I vaguely remember 1932. Bright yellow - and sorry to say I never got it going, but loved sitting in it and ‘making believe’. First owned and ‘active’ car was a 1934 Riley Kestrel.
One thing in common with the ‘upper classes’ obviously were the beatings, must have been the era!

Do you also remember ‘cadence braking’ on icy roads?

OH yes! Oh yes! There was something magical about marbles wasn’t there? Amazing colours and designs. Something got lost when heavyweight silver ones arrived (ball bearings?)

I still live and work in the 1900-1950 time warp with several visits currently into the 1900’s.

Remember each and every one, learnt to drive on a crash box, did some operational flying in the Comet 2 after 3 were bought by the RAF. My cinema was afternoon though, almost always cowboys and Indians. Ah Kensitas, early on they had a side pack attached containing ‘4 for your friends’.

Have you visited the House of Marbles at Bovey Tracey? It’s truly amazing , if you like marbles. My grandson chose 9 marbles each one representing a planet. £6.20 with a little bag, still a comic is £3.99. I dont know where parents find the money these days.

Sorry Teresa, never even heard of Bovey Tracey let alone the House of Marbles.

I must have been Timewalking then!

1 Like

b

A treasure trove for children.

1 Like

Cadence braking anyway, unless a total emergency stop.
Braking before a turn, not that I have seen many french drivers doing that, red lights on as they brake on our country roads.

1 Like

Amazing Heath Robinson marble music machine - I played marbles at school but never like this - https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q

Heath Robinson illuminated set pieces in Happy Mount Park in Morecambe for the illuminations and taking a landau back along the Promenade.

Absolutely marbellous !!

1 Like

Did anybody play jacks at school? Little metal structures that you had to catch in between bouncing a small ball.

I never played marbles but all my kids did. I still have several packs if them in the house.

1 Like

Never played jacks Caroline but did play fivestones, if that rings a bell ?

aa

2 Likes

I was poorer than you…only had silver coloured ones :rofl::rofl:
Loved playing these…wonder if you can still get them ?

1 Like

That picture is correct but I’m pretty sure that i called them jacks. That would have been about 1973 in Suffolk. Though i think your name is better!!

1 Like

Five stones - were just that. 5 coloured square stones - was what I played with.

Jacks were metal shapes (as per the photo) mine were silver and I had a small brown ball.

Loved playing with them - and the family collection of marbles.

Simple fun - those were the days… oh, not to forget my skipping rope and sorbo balls that I could juggle 3 at the same time (no, not at the same time as skipping… :rofl:)

Did you play at Dutch skipping with two ropes?
Do you remember those 2 balls on a string that you had to swing fast so they clacked together ? Had some nasty brises from those, probably not allowed now :scream:

1 Like

Yes to all of that, including the clackers … plus my yo-yo. Oh my, how I loved that. Once won a tennis racquet in a yo-yo competition - that was a wow moment.

Ah, so jacks is the same as fivestones then ? I was in Norfolk and we never called them jacks. Mine were also the bog standard metallic coloured ones. Nothing posh about us especially with the outside loo, outside kitchen and no bathroom. Sunday night was bath night in the tin bath in front of the fire.
Blimey, that takes me back…

I think five-stones (or ‘dibs’ in Southampton) are different from jacks.
Dibs - five stone(?) cubes about the size of dice, but no markings.
Jacks (as pictured) metal, possibly aluminium, that sort of colour anyway (except this posh-looking ones).
It would be possible to play ‘dibs’ with those jacks at a pinch.
Did anyone have a Diablo? Great fun in the garden spinning that on its string, toss up and catch.