Tip of the day (20) When you don’t have this use that

• Instead of breadcrumbs use crackers or cereals.

• If you don’t have a rolling pin take a broom stick and cut it in half.

• Instead of baking powder use 1/4 tsp baking soda plus 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (from here)

• If the iron breaks down, fold carefully your clothes one on top of the other put a clean fabric and on top of this two piles of heavy
    books.

• If your recipe calls for vanilla extract (1 tsp) use alternatively 2-inch piece of vanilla bean. (from here)

• If the milk is not sour for the recipe make the amount needed (1 cup) by adding 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup sweet milk. (From
    here)

• Substitute 1 egg with 2 tbsp of milk and 1/2 tsp baking powder. (From here)

• If you need 1 ounce of chocolate mix 3 tablespoons cocoa plus 1 tablespoon butter or regular margarine or vegetable oil (from here)

• If you don’t have any cloth available for cleaning the windows use newspaper.

http://limoncellodituscany.wordpress.com/

These are brilliant!

Thanks Despina,

Niall, my husband is heading for retirement in the next couple of years, and we will have to start pulling our horns in financially soon. Tips on economy as well might be useful to a few of us.

Jeni.

Hi Jeni,
These are really great and useful. I didn’t know most of them. Keep posting more
Thanks
D.

I love home hints. Here’s some from my personal experience.

Use the cheaper baby wet wipes ( the ones in plastic tubs ) for “dry cleaning”) stains like tomato juice and butter when on long journeys. I go so far as to keep a couple moist in a sandwich bag for using in restaurants, because I’m a scruffy madam.

I use an old long lemoncello bottle for pastry. I fill it with water and pop it in the freezer for an hour to make it really cold.

White vinegar is a brilliant deodoriser, especially with pet urine (and bedwetting) The vinegary smell lasts only a short while. In the hard water we have down here, I make up a tall jug of vinegar and hot water before I shower and pour it over my hair on the final rinse. It really makes my coarse grey hair soft and shiny.

Microwave citrus fruits for a few seconds before squeezing, you get more juice out.

The same wet wipes are good for cleaning side and rear-view mirrors in cars, as long as you have a tissue handy for polishing them off before they dry.

I hate vanilla and sometimes it puts me off going into patisseries here; but Mum always kept her vanilla pod in a jar of sugar for baking puddings etc.

Taking clothes out of a tumble dryer hot. and shaking before folding carefully cuts down the ironing a lot. I have to use a tumble dryer I’m afraid, we aren’t allowed to show washing in our battiment.

I machine wash all my cleaning cloths and mop heads every time I do a dark wash (almost daily in our house). They last better that way. It irritates my maid, but I see no point in cleaning surfaces with dirtier cloths.

Buy books from www.thebookdepository.co.uk Much cheaper than buying from local “English” book shops, more variety and cheaper on the whole than Amazon, absolutely free postage and arrives by post within three to five days. And it takes PayPal.

If you have a flat ginger grater, it makes the most marvellous garlic puree.

Thank you for the links, I’m going to spend a happy afternoon browsing now.