TONIGHT! Next Embassy Outreach meeting,,

Thanks for giving us a lot of notice !! Link in here:

1 Like

Hi Jane

Also just received the e-mail.

This is total and utter bloody incompetence.

Fours hours notice of a meeting that could be crucial for people who have not received their CDSā€™s yet.

So much for the new Ambassador. Same old same old.

Not impressed.

Will join just to let them know what I think of them.

Andy

4 Likes

What is left to discuss? I have lost track but thought most things have been sorted?

Hi Sandcastle

The issue is that there are a significant number of people who have applied, and have not had a RDV , or have had an RDV but not received their cards.

As the cards are required by 01/01/22 there are many concerned people who could benefit from this meeting.

Regards

Andy

2 Likes

Plus if you look at the heading in your email, on a mobile and even on a lot of pcā€™s the title line for email is truncated. So there is no idea even looking at the email that was sent by the British Embassy today at 1.30pm, that theyā€™re providing a call tonight.

Even seeing this thread on here and checking the email, theres still no details of the call - not even the time - not even in the body of the email.

Sorry but whoever allowed this information to be sent out by the British Embassy like this, is a muppet.

Are they hoping no one will turn up so they can say there is no demand for this?

Or has someone just realized they personally are away next week for Christmas and the Embassy will mostly be having a Christmas break, so they are covering their a$$ by sending this out at practically zero notice. Just to be able to say they offered something even though they gave the audience practically no chance to be aware and attend?

Muppets.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t received the email at all! Pure accident I came on here and spotted this - thanks for telling us, Jane :clap:

@strudball always wants to know about these - Iā€™ll give him a ringā€¦

Makes you wonder if someone was delegated to set up the meeting and just forgot/didnā€™t bother to send out an earlier notification, then had an ā€˜oh gawdā€™ moment.

To be honest, they do seem to be pretty incompetent. If you click on links around this sort of thing on their website, you often get a ā€œpage not foundā€! As usual with organisations like this, incompetence is a much more likely explanation for what weā€™ve just seen than any kind of deliberate actionā€¦ :smiley:

Iā€™ve been finding that just this weekā€¦ trying to help someone in dire situation and not getting anywhere at all with the Embassyā€¦ aaaaargh.

Red wine is at hand, thank heavensā€¦ and Iā€™m tackling things from another angle tomorrowā€¦ hic

Hopefully not a horizontal oneā€¦ :rofl:

Such dealings as I have had with the embassy, fortunately extremely limited, have been unutterably useless. Finding other sources of information and/or other ways round things seems to be the optimum path if at all possibleā€¦ Main principle to adopt though is not to expect the embassy to look after our interests just because we are British and they are supposed to :roll_eyes:

For one there is a big confusion over whether the full social charges are due on plus-value immobiliĆØre for people with protected WA rights. And this could perhaps be a breach of withdrawal agreement rights.

Prior to 31/12/20 British people with either an S1 or private health insurance were exempt from paying full social charges on capital gains on selling property, and just paid the 7.5% solidarity tax (plus the gains tax of courseā€¦). Since then it is unclear as the form the notaires use to calculate charges specifically exclude the ā€œUnited Kingdomā€. Is this all people who are British, or just those who arrived this year?

Some people have already been charged this and are not happy. We have yet to sell, but I need to know as makes a big difference on negotiating a sale price. If we have to pay 10% more, then will not be giving way on price!

1 Like

Iā€™m leaving the Embassy out of the equationā€¦ and certainly not letting them share my bottleā€¦ hic

1 Like

Always knew you were a sensible girl, @Stella :smiley:

(Reminds me - if Iā€™m going to ā€œattendā€ this meeting, Iā€™d better find a glassof something to fortify myself withā€¦ :thinking: )

Hi All

I am open to be called a nurd, but this is a summary of my questions to the meeting that were not broadcast

Andyw (You)

6:17 PM

Private

Communications . Could I ask why I only received notice of this meeting this afternoon. It is the last meeting before 01/01/2022, and there are many residents who are still awaiting the CDS and will be unaware this meeting is being held

reply from Moderator

6:27 PM

Hi Andyw, this meeting has been advertised online for the last week or so. Signing up for alerts or following us online means that youā€™ll get an update as soon as we post an event online.

reply from Andyw

Andyw (You)

6:30 PM

Sorry, I am signed up for Voisin Voices and only received that today. There are many people expressing the lack of communications from the embassy. I feel you have failed lamentably in promoting this meeting. Could you advise me where this has been advertised, as loads of people seem to be in the same position as myself

reply from Andyw

Andyw (You)

6:33 PM

Could you also confirm the date of these adverts

reply from Moderator

6:34 PM

Hi Andyw, the adverts are available to view on our social media.

reply from Andyw

Andyw (You)

6:35 PM

Sorry again, but not all of us are on social media. Again I ask where and when.

At that point I had no further responses. So if you are no on social media, donā€™t expect much from the embassy.

i am not surprised, as this seems to be how modern society is going .

Not on social media ---- not worth bothering about

Andy

Itā€™s illegal indirect discrimination on the part of the British Embassy if they are only providing alerts via social media. Itā€™s well known to government and generally that a lot of older citizens do not participate in social media and/or are not equipped to and so this is indirect age discrimination.

In particular even if the British Embassy only put it on Facebook, for example, then given the well known personal data abuse issues with Facebook that governments are trying to address, this would be a very bad decision.

My question also got a dusty answer (about whether changes to way capital gains tax were being calculated breached the withdrawal agreement) with an answer that it was nothing to do with them and to take it up with the European Commission. And the link they provided was broken

2:nil so farā€¦

Be thankful for any crumbs, those offered a UK face saving lifeline only months ago are being quietly abandonedā€¦ Shitty Patel at her best.

This Guardian article is yet another piece of evidence in the failure-of-brexit jigsaw* - but interesting to us because it uses France as a comparator (paragraphs 3-7)ā€¦

*The evidence that Brexit is causing mounting damage has been growing since the transition period endedā€¦ is also to be found on Professor Gerhard Schnyderā€™s Brexit Impact Tracker, Yorkshire Bylinesā€™ Davis Downsides Dossier, the now closed ā€˜Keleman Archiveā€™ of 1000 examples, the Brexit database, and a newish substack blog I have only just come across, Nick Tyroneā€™s This Week in Brexitland. The latest dollop of evidence comes with an excellent new report on the impact of Brexit on services industries by Professor Sarah Hall and Matt Heneghan for the UK in a Changing Europe centre.