Tool disposal on retirement?

Hi
Has any member faced up to retiring totally and disposing of over 60years of tools saved just in case.

From drill bits, clamps, right through to planer thickness er, mortise machine. etc

Building tools.

Gardening tools.

Any solution welcome

Thank you

1 Like

Work out what you want to sell… figure a price for each… or for each collection… then go onto "le bon coin " …

I have a workshop’s worth of wood machinery…advertised on various sites…lots of “interested” people…lots of “no shows”.
It’s difficult stuff to to re-home, unless you’re prepared to virtually give it away.

1 Like

Where are you both?

Thank you for the reply.

The Lot near Cahors…

1 Like

Hi John,

We all know what our tools are worth. More really than what they cost as they eased the job that we bought them for, or meant that we could do a particular job because we had them.
Unfortunately, most people want something for nothing. I can understand that, as everyone loves a bargain. However, many won’t know the difference between for instance Irwin and Stanley. I’m sure there are better makes too, but I bought an Irwin saw several years ago. What a difference that made to a job that I was doing. The quality was not only in the weight and construction, but the ease and tidyness with which it cut oak. I remember the quality woodworking tools in my school carpentry workshop almost fifty years ago.
I think that you would be hard pressed to find someone, unless they were a joiner, who felt the same way about your tools.
I don’t know what you are looking to get for them, but I would suggest trying to get the best price possible on the Facebook Aquitaine site or here for your good power tools.
If they are expensive, leboncoin will attract the scammers. People trying to buy items from you with stolen cheques are rife.
Maybe once you have disposed of most things and the rest are too much trouble to try to sell individually, you could consider them going to good use through a charity organisation like
Someone like RAW Workshop [https://raw-workshop.co.uk/] or the
Cheshire Wildlife Trust [https://www.cheshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/
There are many organisations doing good work with the elderly and the young. I’m not in any way suggesting that you dispose of your tools for nothing, just if you have a few left over at the end.
Vide Greniers might work to a degree. When we have used them in the past we have been amazed at the quantity of people around us, trying to knock us down, only to sell the item for more on their stall!
Good luck with your task. I’m sure it will be all the more difficult due to the memories behind each tool.
Regards
Paul

1 Like

Dispose of tools on retirement. Jeez i have used them more since being partially retired than some of them when i was working full time. Why not take each tool, sit down and clean it till it is gleaming and think about all the jobs it did for you and do you really want to dispose of it. I did and kept the damn lot.

3 Likes

If they are professional quality tools you could perhaps see if there are any start-ups in your area and youngsters about to set themselves up as artisans, and offer them as a way to help next generation? We have a lycée professional and ecole des arts du bois, and there are a few perpinières in surrounding villages which offer workshop space and support for those that want to set themselves up as self employed woodworkers when they graduate.

I had to stop and think about the question . I am retired and cannot imagine why I would want to sell my tools. Possibly if I were to win the lottery I could then pay someone else to do all the jobs here that need doing but until that unlikely event happens I am forced to do all the maintenance and renovation work myself.

I wouldn’t mind having a full set of woodworking tools, I just have nowhere to put them :frowning:

10 minutes from Mazamet