Tourist Tax 2019 increases

Are there any other gite owners in Department 35 who are as concerned and confused as me about the changes/increases to the 2019 tourist tax?

After a very lengthy email discussion with the tourist office responsible for implementing and collecting the tax in my area, it has been confirmed that the tax for gites has increased from a flat 0.50€ per night for an adult (under 18 are exempt) to 3% of the nightly charge capped at 2.30€ per person per night. Or if you prefer an increase of 460%

Added to service charge fees by sites like Airbnb and many others, the nightly charge will increase by 30%.
I don’t even know how this is sustainable, or arrived at. Apparently it is a central government directive, with the ability to implement locally within certain agreed parameters.

I can’t get my head around it at all.

It’s not an increase as such, but a change to the way that taxe de sejour is applied. As I understand it, it is a move to try to improve the standard of tourist accommodation. So this is to ‘encourage’ people to get their accomodation classified and inspected.

If your gite/b&b is classified them nothing will change and the taxe de sejour will be exactly as currently. Our gite is 4* and we have to charge 1.10 which will stay the same. (Since we only have one gite we don’t need to sign up to airb&b and so on and the platform we use has an annual fee of 40euros, with no commission, so that only adds an average of 0.30€ per night to the costs of running it. )

However, if haven’t had your gite classified then you will be required to charge 3% of the daily cost per person per day. However unless your gite/b&b is super expensive that may not be exorbitant.

Do the calculations and you may find that it is worth your while to pay to be classified. Ours cost 135€ for a 5 year classification.

Around here (south 23, creuse grand sud) the percentage calculations are applied if you haven’t been assessed for a star rating. Here a 3☆ is 0.9€/night. The tourist office should be able to do this, or gites de france. The percentage was put in place, I believe, to be able to collect from “un-rated” meubles de tourisme.

In our area the non-classified still had to charge it, but at a minimal rate of 0.20€/person/night. And some of the non-classified places are dire, so I was told by tourist office it was a move to try to up standards.

1 Like

Thanks Jane and Mark,
I’ve contacted the local tourist office to ask about their star system.
I’m registered every where else in the system, it would make sense to get a star rating and reduce the tax burden to my guests.
Who knows, one day I might even get a plaque in my name on a park bench?

Cheers,
Paul

Just a tip, check the cost of the various bodies that do the classement, some cost more than others.

Here is the list of the bodies that do it. The costs aren’t totally transparent, but I think we found gîtes de France to be the most expensive. We went with our regional tourist board, so they must have been the cheapest. The criteria are slightly hysterical!

https://www.classement.atout-france.fr/fr/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=ecf96b41-5821-49f5-adf9-c7eeea563904&groupId=10157

Thanks Jane,
My local tourist board are visiting next week to assess. The tourism office also offered a small rebate towards to cost which is nice.

Thanks for all of your tips, I really feel this has moved along quite quickly today.

Have you got the classement grille of the 112 criteria? It’s amazing what difference silly things like wooden hangers can make to the score!

I think I’m pretty covered, I haven’t skimped on anything and over the years have added more.
I basically set up with all the things I would need if I lived there, and then some :grinning:

I’ll check the link tonight and be prepared.

Busy resetting now after today’s departure and for tonight’s arrival.

Interesting thread… got me thinking…

Anyway… it is worth investigating how you and I might be affected… ???

I note that the Chambre d’Hôte trade = 20 cents min - 80 cents max TdSejour

and it is my local tourist board who tell me exactly what to charge… so I’ll leave it in their laps.

(I’m closed anyway… so it does not affect me at the moment.)

In our area CdH are all lumped together at flat rate of 0.55€, so are excluded from the 3% charge and everything stays the same.

Anyway, for Paul here are the 112 criteria.

https://www.classement.atout-france.fr/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=fa813b05-574a-4403-a762-894743fe147e&groupId=10157

Ha ha… I’ve just received an email from our Tourist Office with 6 attachments…forms to complete and stuff for the future in 2019.
something to work through later… I’ve zapped her to remind her I am not open for business and that I shall probably remain closed for the foreseeable… :thinking:

This is the first of 2 responses from our local office:

Suite à quelques retours et interrogations de certains d’entre vous concernant les tarifs 2019 de la taxe de séjour, vous trouverez ci-dessous un rappel des tarifs 2019 à appliquer selon la nature et la catégorie de votre hébergement :

Tarifs 2019 :

• pour les meublés de tourisme 4 étoiles : la taxe de séjour à demander est de 1 € par adulte par nuit

• pour les hôtels de tourisme 3 étoiles, les meublés de tourisme 3 étoiles : la taxe de séjour à demander est de0.80 € par adulte par nuit

• pour les hôtels de tourisme 2 étoiles, les meublés de tourisme 2 étoiles : la taxe de séjour à demander est de0.60 € par adulte par nuit

• pour les meublés de tourisme 1 étoile, les chambres d’hôtes : la taxe de séjour à demander est de 0.50 € par adulte par nuit

• pour les terrains de camping et terrains de caravanage classés en 1 et 2 étoiles et tout autre terrain d’hébergement de plein air de caractéristiques équivalentes (les terrains de camping non classés non assimilés à cette catégorie) : la taxe de séjour à demander est de 0.20 € par adulte par nuit

• pour les hébergements en attente de classement ou sans classement à l’exception des hébergements de plein air et des chambres d’hôtes qui, pour ces dernières, ne disposent pas actuellement de classement officiel (sont donc concernés les hôtels de tourisme et les meublés de tourisme sans classement ou en attente de classement) : application d’un pourcentage de 3% sur le coût HT par personne de la nuitée (plafonné à 2.30€)
    Les gîtes d’étapes et les gîtes de groupe sont assimilés à cette catégorie.

*Par exemple : pour une famille composée de deux adultes et de deux enfants de 19 et 16 ans ayant séjourné 7 nuits dans un meublé non classé pour un prix de 700 € HT devra payer : *

1 - coût HT par personne de la nuitée : 700 € / 7 nuits / 4 occupants = 25 € par nuitée

2 - tarif de la taxe par nuitée : 25€ / 100 * 3 = 0.75 € de taxe de séjour

Taxe de séjour à facturer : 0.75 € * 7 nuits * 3 assujettis = 15.75€

N.B: Pour les roulottes, yourtes, tipis, cabanes dans les arbres et tout autre hébergement insolite, deux possibilités :

• si l’hébergement est implanté dans l’enceinte d’un établissement reconnu au sens du code du tourisme (camping, hôtel…), c’est la tarif applicable à cet établissement qui s’applique.

• si l’hébergement est implanté chez un particulier : c’est le pourcentage de 3% du coût HT par personne de la nuitée (plafonné à 2.30€) qui s’applique

Vous trouverez en pièce jointe la délibération prise le 4 septembre 2018 rappelant pour l’ensemble des catégories, les tarifs 2019 applicables.

second:

Pour être sûr que nous faisons bien le même calcul concernant le pourcentage :

Exemple 1 : si le tarif journalier est de 84€ et un adulte séjourne dans le gîte une nuit : 3% de 84€ = 2.52 € (la taxe de séjour à demander est de 2.30 €, on applique le plafond)

Exemple 2 : si le tarif journalier est de 84€ et 2 adultes séjournent dans le gîte une nuit :
1- on calcule le prix de la nuitée par personne : 84 /2 = 42 €
2 - on applique les 3% sur les 42 € soit 1.26€ de taxe de séjour à demander par adulte.

3 - Pour l’ensemble du séjour, comme ils sont deux adultes, la taxe de séjour à demander est de 2.52€

Exemple 3 : si le tarif journalier est de 84€ et 2 adultes + 1 enfant séjournent dans le gîte une nuit:

1- on calcule le prix de la nuitée par personne (que ce soit des adultes ou des enfants) : 84 /3 = 28 €
2 - on applique les 3% sur les 28 € soit 0.84 € de taxe de séjour à demander.

3 - Pour l’ensemble du séjour, comme ils sont deux adultes (l’enfant ne paye pas de taxe) la taxe de séjour à demander est de 1.68 €

Idem s’il y a plusieurs nuits, il faut d’abord calculer le prix de la nuitée par personne en divisant le coût total du séjour par le nombre de personnes (adultes et enfants) et le nombre de nuits, on obtient un chiffre qui correspond au coût de la nuitée HT par personne. On applique le pourcentage de 3% sur ce chiffre. On multiplie ce dernier par le nombre d’adultes et le nombre de nuits pour avoir le coût total de la taxe de séjour.

Rumour has it that NASSA declined to use the programme to launch its next rocket to Mars!

Thanks Jane, I will be sure to check this out over the weekend.

Who have you classified with and what advertising platform do you use? It seems good value, to only pay €40 per year.

We were assessed by our regional tourist board. And we use france-voyage.com which seems to be used largely by french and belgiums looking for moderately priced family gîtes. We are not in the luxury market. We also get a good proportion of dutch & german, but have only had one english family in 5 years. However it gets us the bookings we need each year so suits us just fine and since the english family did more damage than just about anyone else we’ve had we aren’t keen for more.

Are you near Orgelet?

Yes, it’s our ‘town’…