Towing a car behind motorhome

My friend is looking for a towcar for towing behind his motorhome in France, they are looking at a Nissan Micra on eBay and it comes with the description below, does this sound ok to be towed in France.

NISSAN MICRA N-TEC DCI

2010 60 REG

CHEAP TAX

1.5cc DIESEL

REGISTERED 29th SEPTEMBER 2010

MOTORHOME TOW CAR

CAR A TOW BRAKED A FRAME

BRAKES ALL 4 WHEELS AT THE SAME TIME

ALL TOWING ELECTRICS PLUG IN UNDER THE BONNET

TOWING A FRAME FOLDS AWAY IN THE BOOT .

A quick Google (well DDG actaully) and I found this resource which might help.

It sounds a bit underpowered to me :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Graham I saw that but it goes back to 2012, I saw what looked like two new Belgian motorhomes the other week with braked A frames and a German one as well and wondered what the current thinking/law was.

Towing with an A frame in France has been chewed over for years and continues to be. There are so many pionts of view and interpretation of the law which seems to differ in almost every EU country, its a minefield.
We tow a Smart Car on a trailer with our camping car which works for us. Whether the car is on an A frame or trailer it doesn’t need to be powerful as it is just a runaround.
This is our setup, really easy to load and unload and to reverse which I am lead to believe is a no no with tow car on an A frame but not sure why.

3 Likes

We were just looking at campsites down in the south for this summer and were struck by how many campsites are now offering EVs for the use of customers who arrive in large motorhomes or without a car and wish to visit the local area. It seems a greener way forward than people towing cars behind motorhomes all over France to use when they get there.

I’ve a little Fiat 500 to tow behind mine

In my motor home , I just push a button and the car pops out of the side - saves all that faffing about :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Check the legals, A frame towing was illegal in France.

The attention of the public authorities was once again drawn to the question of the European directive n ° 94-20 CE. It would seem that the fact of being able to tow a small car using a camper is only a tolerance according to French legislation. There is an ambiguity on this point between the European and French legislation, particularly with regard to motorhomes wishing to tow another vehicle, using a towing vehicle without resorting to the purchase of a car transporter trailer.

The position of the (French) Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy was again clarified in August 2014 in a technical statement that ends very clearly: "In conclusion, apart from the specific operations of troubleshooting (eg. breakdowns or accidents), the only legal and secure way to transport a car behind a camper is to put it on a car transporter-trailer.” To travel towing with an A-frame in France puts you in illegal situation. You risk being fined, or even being forced to pick up your frame to tow to be able to leave.

It’s pretty much impossible to reverse a toad (car that’s flat towed behind a motorhome ) because the toad car’s steering follows the vehicle because of the castor angle, think supermarket trolley, and when you reverse a trolley the wheels casters pivot 180 deg . Obviously a car’s front wheels can’t so they turn to full lock when pushed backwards unless a very small turn is applied.
Also, unlike a caravan the over run brake system doesn’t unlock on a toad when pushed backwards, so the braking system also has to be disabled first (unless electronic I believe)