Transfer money from uk to france

I registered with three foreign exchange brokers. When I need small sums (< 20000 euros ) I send each an email (one broker now provides online quotes) . There has always been a difference in rates between the three with no pattern i.e. A is not consistently offering a better rate.
If you require a large sum explore a forward contract - you specify the rate and when it can be met the currency is purchased. You then pay part of the cost with the remainder when you ask the broker to transfer. Transfer by my brokers is free, but one of the brokers ā€œborrowedā€ my euros for almost a week between the date I paid for them and the date they transferred it. Transfer can be to a bank account or a notaire (i.e. to an IBAN/RIB) and normally takes less than half a day between notifying that the transfer has been actioned and appearing in the recipients account. Payment to the broker for the currency can be made by electronic transfer .
Both the english bank and french bank may impose limits on the amount that you can transfer in a single transaction.
There have been a number of threads exploring banking in France. In theory a euro account in country A should be good in country B. But the cost of the account differs from one country to the next

Everyone has their favourite, I always use TORFX for sums over Ā£1000

TransferWise for the rest

I would like to mention that if you use either of them we receive a commission, it does not cost you any more than approaching them directly and helps us run the site and keep it free for you :slight_smile:
Thanks

Hi James, so if I use TORFX how do I make sure they know you are to receive the commission?

If you sign up with them using any of my links or if you speak to them just mention SF. Thanks :slight_smile:

I have been having a look at Revolut - for unlimited FX payment amounts you need their premium account at Ā£6.99 per month on the basic (free) account you are limited to Ā£5000 of FX per month. 0.5% charge for payments over Ā£5000 if using a basic (free) account.

The premium account could be worth having if shifting bigger sums - ie for a house purchase or renovation works.

As pointed out previously there are additional fees if making FX transfers at the weekends.

1 Like

Hi again James, sorry but just realized: Iā€™d be transferring from US, not UK; to France. Whatā€™s your thought, will this hinder my success with TorFX or TransferWise? You might not have any experience with this of course but thought Iā€™d ask just in case .

They both offer USD/EUR currency pairs so I donā€™t envisage any issues :slight_smile:

1 Like