Transferring proceeds of holiday home sale in France to UK

Any information on this?
Will/can the Notaire transfer to a UK bank account only in Euros? If so he cannot transfer to a UK Building Society as they cannot take or convert Euros to Sterling.
Does one need to leave money in a French bank account for unknown possible bills/ charges in the future even though one doesn’t own a house there any more so maintaining a French bank account may not comply with regulations?
Does the Fiscal Representative retain money from the sale for any future possible tax owing even after the amount of Capital Gains Tax has been calculated and deducted? If so - how much is retained and for how long? Are they only concern with possible tax owed and not any other charges that might arise?
Is there a limit French Banks will allow to be transferred to UK online by their clients? Or indeed any limit to their transfers?
I noticed the money transfer companies don’t seem to have a phone number in case of problems
which I find off putting. I couldn’t see a phone number for Wise.
Is it just best to have Notaire transfer to one’s French bank account and they transfer to Sterling bank account and not worry about the transfer fees and exchange rate?
(There was a case in 2020 when a Notaire’s emails were hacked; the correct IBAN for the transfer of proceeds of sale was changed by the hackers and money did not go to sellers. )
Grateful for any information and advice.
Thanks

Wise and Midpoint get good reviews.

I would be inclined to get the funds put into your french account and then you can arrange transfer at your own pace and hopefully for a good rate of exchange.
For large funds when exchanging GBP to EUR, i used foreign currency direct - now rebranded to Lumon https://www.lumonpay.com
I think they also do EUR to GBP - It may be worth giving them a call. It was nice having an account manager to be able to call and discuss the exchange / any questions around the transfer.

1 Like

PeterJ - Thanks - yes I would want some human contact which could not see would be the case with Wise though I know they are highly rated. I was going to try to transfer to a UK building society as shocked how very low the ratings are for UK banks like Halifax and Barclays etc! But as I said can’t transfer directly to building society because they only take GBP.

You can phone Midpoint they also award avios if you collect them. Post if you need a contact name.

1 Like

I have used Foremost Currency Group for many years for house sale proceeds without any problems.

1 Like