Translating the word "Food"

Mangeaille, ripaille, bouffe…

That would translate in English to something like:

“We have only afforded a modicum of interest to food.”

“Nourriture” is the general term, and would be appropriate when talking about food in general, whether cooked, prepared, or otherwise consumed.
“Cuisine” can often be used in place of “nourriture” to represent cooked food, for example:
“la cuisine de tel ou tel pays”
“la cuisine anglaise / française / allemande / asiatique / africaine / locale”

Instead of “juste”, you could use “ne…que”, “seulement”, “uniquement”, “simplement”, etc, but if you did want to use “juste”, then put it before “sur”.

2 Likes

I’d probably have gone with “we have only paid a little attention to the food” - “afforded” sounds stilted in modern English. I probably would not have thought to use accorder in French come to that.

As I explained the suggestions were not mine, they came out of Reverso’s “rephrase” tool - clearly it mangled the meaning a bit.

It does, though, illustrate the problem in translating between languages or working in a 2nd language when it’s easy to make mistakes and hard to spot them quickly in output from translation tools (even though they are generally quite good these days).

I’d say we barely paid any attention to the food, or took scarcely any interest in it.

2 Likes

Tone or register are still things that translation tools / dictionaries struggle with, especially when there’s no context for them to lean on to adjust the translation. Even AI can get the wrong end of the stick, depending on the language model used to train the learning machine.

Very true.

I’d probably re-phrase your last sentence though

Slightly off topic but is your photo club online (rather than présentielle only) ? I’d be interested in joining if possible, as I don’t think there is one where I live (Corsica).

Hi Alan, just sent you a PM

First word which springs to mind is ‘bouffe’ as in ‘la bouffe’ but perhaps c’est a peu trop familier?!
In this context perhaps better to use, ’ aliments’ as in :

"Jusqu’à présent, nous nous sommes concentrés sur JUSTE la nourriture, mais nous pouvons ajouter un contexte - à condition que les aliments soient les composantes principales de l’image."