Translating the word "Food"

I really struggle with how to translate the word “food” into French. The words I find seem to be very functional / almost scientific which seems extraordinary when what goes onto a plate and into our mouths is so important and such a sophisticated art.

So, for example, this month’s competition in our Photo Club is “Food” and I want to send out a note to members. This is what I’m saying in English:

“So far we have concentrated on JUST the food but we can add context – so long as the food is the principal component of the image.”

Deepl offers me this:

"Jusqu’à présent, nous nous sommes concentrés sur JUSTE la nourriture, mais nous pouvons ajouter un contexte - à condition que la nourriture soit la composante principale de l’image."

“Nourriture” hardly conveys to me the close-up of a chef putting the finishing touches to a beautiful plated up meal, or a close up of someone licking an ice-cream.

Is that really the word to use? And if not, what would be a good alternative?

Plat, assiette or mets could be used for individual dishes but la nourriture is the correct word for the all-encompassing idea of food.

3 Likes

Can’t help you with the nourriture vs other words but a quick question for @vero - stylistically how does “nous ne nous sommes concentrés que sur la nourriture”
compare with "nous nous sommes concentrés sur JUSTE la nourriture* - is one better or are they equally applicable. I ask because the urge to use “juste” as I would in English to mean “only” makes me think I’m closer to Franglais than français, but I rarely think fast enough to use ne … que.

The reverso grammar checker offers some alternatives for you to ponder:

La nourriture a été notre seule préoccupation.

Nous n’avons porté notre attention que sur la nourriture.

Nous avons exclusivement porté notre attention sur la nourriture.

Nous n’avons accordé qu’une attention limitée à la nourriture.

La seule chose dont nous nous sommes préoccupés, c’est la nourriture.

PS, I suppose that you could add a lui-même after nourriture for emphasis or use “produits alimentaires” instead.

1 Like

not concentré.

nous nous sommes penché sur… or various other way indicating priority or focus.

I suspect concentré is basically removing liquid from your body so you become smaller.

There are poetic words for food around which I’d look at finding, journalists would use in newspaper articles sometimes.

Happy to be wrong

1 Like

se concentrer - to focus one’s attention on (hence the “nous nous”) - see Word Reference

1 Like

Nope, not what I see them using.

1 Like

Sorry Karen - can you expand?

Anyway none of the alternatives I offered use se concentrer.

1 Like

It’s just that so many times I have also wanted to use se concentrer but turned away from it each time I checked.

I use lingee a lot which seems to come up with common usage phrases very well according to context.

Nourriture is not what Fr would say either - yeah they’ll know whay you mean but so anglo a way of putting it - something more poetic would be better

1 Like

Fair enough :slight_smile:

As I said, Reverso comes up with several alternatives which avoid that particular verb.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

Yes. A Paul Coehlo quote in French….

“L’homme ne pourra jamais cesser de rêver. Le rêve est la nourriture de l’âme comme les aliments sont la nourriture du corps.”

Seems fine to me. I wouldn’t use “juste”.

2 Likes

BTW @KarenLot - sorry, the “nous nous” comment sounded a bit preachy, didn’t intend to and I suspect your French is a whole lot better than mine :slight_smile:

I’m going to have to wean myself off that one - I use it a lot when sending out emails.

1 Like

It helps to think “Woohoo look at me! I know how to do that ne + que thing!”

Though I fear you’re far less shallow than I am :black_cat:

2 Likes

The first is better :slightly_smiling_face: but I’d say focalisés not concentrés

This means the opposite, almost.

2 Likes

Ah, yes - well, it was an automatic, probably AI driven, rephrasing which I just copied and pasted.

Perhaps “Nous n’avons accordé qu’une attention, limitée à la nourriture.” would fix the meaning. Feels a bit tortuous though.

Sadly not :joy:

1 Like

Deepl thought that it did. But if not then I give up :rofl:

1 Like

We’ve got a few years before they take over then :wink:

2 Likes

You must have a better class of journal(ist) there in the Lot :grinning: The ones who work for our local rag are increasingly using argot…

Poetic?? I must be mixing with the wrong people, because round here it’s ‘la bouffe’ :joy:

2 Likes