Travelling on second passport not linked to TdS

I really do not see the problem. I have enjoyed the sport, without consequence, for over 65 years.

Me too, but before 7 I had an air hostess to help - I went back and forth from Nice to Edinburgh via LHR every couple of months. My first flight was in a basket aged 4 or 5 weeks (but accompanied).

1 Like

Also “Patent Applied For” Gibson humbucker pickups, if you are a guitar nerd… :smiley:

1 Like

Now available as a special edition leather-cased pair for a mere $999…

I prefer Filtertrons anyway.

Yes I like those too - I have some “knock off by Fender” Filtertrons in my Squier Cabronita Tele.

(Apologies for the thread hijack, now back to your scheduled programming…)

2 Likes

Or, my current favourite French expression …

Revenir à ses moutons

1 Like

Allez les moutons! :smiley:

1 Like

And what is TdS (I was confusing with Carte de Séjour)?

TdS = Titre de Séjour - same thing as a CdS.

2 Likes

Tangential to the question, but has anyone else experienced rather intrusive questioning from UK Border Force recently when entering or leaving the UK on UK passports in a French registered vehicle ? Twice now, we’ve been subjected to their appallingly insidious questioning, which I have found increasingly invasive, of the ilk:

• where have you come from (disembarking the ferry at Pembroke Dock from Rosslare) ;
  • where are you going ?
  • how long are you staying ?
  • what are you / have you been doing whilst in the UK?

This is not customs agents, but Border Force.

I know that if I reply it is “none of their business” then I can expect to have the car pulled aside and us “invited into an office” for further “enquiry”, but has the country really become this brazen with regard to it’s own citizens ?

2 Likes

I just see it as them doing their job. I’ve had similar questions when in a UK car and also in a car on diplomatic plates. No point getting worked up about it.

Oh this had made me laugh… that’s just how a dear friend in UK will answer all and any police enquiries when he’s out late… and he wonders why he’s not popular with the forces of Law and Order … he reckons the Police have got it in for him, but he makes himself a suspicious target by going on the abusive/offensive… :wink:

I guess that they are trying to see if things don’t “feel right” - but a 10pm on a Saturday or Sunday evening having already been travelling for 11 hours I’m not typically in a chatty mood.

1 Like

I’m sure they’re used to that and can tell the difference between someone who’s tired and grumpy and someone who’s a bit cagey.

1 Like

That really is f$£@ing cheeky if you are a British citizen… but I think this has filtered down from the top - the toxic attitude of various recent Home Secretaries has now infused their minions.

Good thing you didn’t arrive in a small boat, otherwise you’d have been in the slammer faster than you can say “Rwanda”…

1 Like

Such questions have been asked for a long time. I recall their tediousness well before the word “brexit” was a thing.

I see it as a way for them to cast more than a glance at you, any other occupants, & the vehicle in general i.e. looking for the bad guys.

Who knows, they might be waiting for a possible warning from an ANPR system to pop up on their screen…?

My advice is to not poke the bear.

2 Likes

It’s really not, since border force is the first contact with those coming into the country. They don’t really care about the answers, it’s only an opportunity to check out the occupants for suspicious behaviour.

2 Likes

Well if it’s just psychological profiling, they could ask less intrusive questions like “Did you have a nice holiday?” or “what do you reckon to Coventry City’s chances of promotion this year?” :grin::crazy_face:

2 Likes

My last interaction was when I arrived at Dover in my old Saab and the border force officer simply said that my car was too nice to be stopped and didn’t even check my passport. I’m sure there’s a moral to that story :wink:

For me the point is that it never used to be this way, and I can’t recall the number of times I crossed various UK borders in a number of vehicles over the past 30 years or so. Of all those times, only within the last year have we been stopped by Border Force. On previous occasions, it has only ever been customs when departing the UK, for an occasional explosives/drugs swab check, and the occasional emptying out of the contents of the van. On previous entries to the UK I was never once questioned as to why I might be coming into the country by anyone. This is what I find odd, and I’m not so self-important or paranoid to believe “they’re out to get me”.

On the flip side, under Teresa May’s watch Border Force was so understaffed they were almost invisible…perhaps they now need to be seen to be trying to do something, even if it is just narking off their own citizens :rofl:

1 Like