Travelling on second passport not linked to TdS

Hello,
I have managed to get myself into a bit of a pickle and was hoping the collective intelligence of SF can help or know of someone who may be able to help. I am due to travel outside of the EU next Friday. However, I unfortunately lost my passport yesterday (Friday) while travelling on the SNCF.

I am a dual national, and I have a second non-French passport. The thing is that my TdS is linked to the passport I lost, and my second passport is completely clean without entry stamps or visas.

Does anyone have any knowledge about what will happen if I try to leave under the second passport? For info, I still have the TdS.

I can always come back in on the second passport, which is one that doesn’t require a tourist visa.

Thanks

I think the first course of action is reporting the loss to the gendarmes… which you might well have done. at least you will have their confirmation of the loss, when explaining at any Controls…

2 Likes

Report it lost, use the other one. You have a carte de séjour so you can prove you are legit. Of course you have a photograph of the lost passport or at least the number if you are asked for it? I don’t think losing a passport is so awful now everything is electronic and recorded especially if you have two - I do try to make sure my passports don’t expire simultaneously though.

1 Like

I have three passports. I no longer travel to the UK very often but when I did I would use my French passport to leave France and my UK one upon arrival and departing the UK, then my French p/port when returning to France. I do the same when travelling to our home in Morocco, French when leaving France, and if necessary within Spain and the Moroccan p/port when entering and leaving Morocco and back to the French upon arrival back in Europe.
I used to do it just to mess with “their” heads, but since the B word it has speeded up transition through controls. As long as arrivé/sortie stamps are noted on the Moroccan p/port there is never a problem.

As well understand it, it is an obligation to use the pp of the country, if you have one. For example I always enter / leave Oz on my Oz pp and ditto the UK. We left Oz with a 6 week old and it was physically impossible to get a uk pp for him in time. We knew it wasn’t kosher and took a risk arriving in the UK on his Oz pp, we got a bit of a telling off, bit they were hardly going to deport a 6 week old! We went to Liverpool to get it sorted within days of arrival!

1 Like

Never do that travelling to/from the USA if you intend to return unless you fancy Homeland Security inviting you to an interview without coffee to explain yourself.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure - I know the Patel/Braverman regime is over but I don’t think anything is beyond the UK Immigration Service!

1 Like

Possibly not the most intelligent thing to do when crossing borders…

No, but unless I’ve missed something the described behaviour was what one would recommend - if you are a citizen of country X always use that country’s passport when entering/leaving its territory.

Otherwise use whatever is most appropriate - but match entry and exit. Out of France, UK, Morocco I’d probably say to use the UK one if entering/leaving the USA.

Thanks. This is what I will attempt, in addition to the Stella’s suggestion and using the cancellation notice from my Consulate.

There is a Douane hotline that I can call for advice as well. So, I will see if they give any additional information.

2 Likes

This is what I tend to do: entry/exit on the same passport and then switch passports mid-air, so to speak.

All useful info and obviously what you do when you are a dual (or triple national), however in this case the other passport has been mislaid so none of that applies.
I remember long ago when I was 7 or 8 (since I travelled by myself) having my passports together in a little bag around my neck and fishing out the relevant one, and sometimes the border control people wanted to see both.

What they will be most concerned about is your passport being used fraudulently or sold in order to be. Get it cancelled so if it is used the user will be flagged up at a border crossing.

Is this not one for the PAF rather than the Douane?

1 Like

I have two passports (UK) and can’t even remember which one is linked to my TdS! I think I have used both going out and coming in but I always show my TdS as well. I haven’t had a problem so far, I’ve probably only been out of the Schengen zone five or six times since I got my TdS.

Unless you enjoy being on a watchlist and meeting new people from the security services everywhere you go, I’d stick to not trying to be a smart arse.

1 Like

PAF… here is my naivety showing … which service is that Police… something Frontalière?

That’s encouraging. I think my situation jumps out a bit more than as my TdS mentions Britannique and my second passport is definitely not a UK passport.

Still, they are probably not too worried about a foreigner leaving the country.

7-8 years old ! Wow, you started early with solo travelling.

Indeed. I will get that cancellation paperwork ready.

1 Like

The PAF = Police Aux Frontières, border control.

1 Like

I was sent to school in the UK, solo, from the airport in Marrakech at the age of 4. I was met at Heathrow by some rellies and my mother followed out the following week.