Trip to UK pending. Can I use the NHS?

Bonjour les tous. Thinking of a trip home - missing family - friends etc., Tell me. What’s the score re. expats - me - using the NHS? Ta ever so.

Are you here with a WARP card and do you have an S1? If not, then no you can’t. Take out comprehensive travel insurance like you would with any other non European country.

1 Like

Does the CEAM card no longer work in the UK? I thought there had been a reciprocal agreement.

1 Like

@Pamela_Shields
it would be useful if you could tell us how Health Cover works for you here in France and what your residential status is…

with insufficient data from you, we can’t really give a firm/helpful answer…

You can’t go wrong with Full Travel Insurance, I wouldn’t have thought… although that might be belt and braces depending on your personal situation.
Healthcare for visitors to the UK from the EU - GOV.UK.

2 Likes

Yes, but like the EHIC it has limitations. The most notable thing, and potentially the most expensive, is being repatriated back to your home. So break a leg in UK and you are stuck there until you can travel.

Yes that is very true but the question was if she can use the NHS, and I think that the answer is Yes, if she has a CEAM.
Of course if she is homesick, an “enforced” stay with friends and family might not be such a bad thing as all that…

I’ve no idea of the protocols or legalities of this but in 2017 I just pitched up near Malvern (Morgan HQ) with a heart issue and received exemplary treatment. I’ve a UK pension and an Irish S1 and EHIC. It wasn’t an immediate problem but having taken bloods the Doctor called us in the hotel at around 10 at night when we were in bed (fatigue not passion :roll_eyes:) to tell us to fill the prescription he’d given us earlier. In my experience the NHS ethos is fix first and sort the paperwork out afterwards. I hope Jeremy Hunt’s role in destroying the best public health system in the World isn’t forgotten in this leadership competition.

2 Likes

This from Planning your healthcare - NHS

"If you move to an EU country or Switzerland and you receive a UK State Pension, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK.

You’ll need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form. S1 forms show that your state healthcare is paid for by the UK if you live in an EU country or Switzerland."

merci bien les tous
bonne journée

Absoutely right. this was what came about following the case I had with the French Health Authorities and the British Government changed the Appendix under which UK Nationals living out of the UK had access to the NHS, unless they were in receipt of an S1.
It cost the Government less.

Well, presumably one of us has given you a suitable reply…

Hello everyone, Dad’s heading to the UK for a lunch for 1950s graduates at uni (ie leave us your money lunch…).

He’s asked about travel insurance…any suggestions?

My understanding is if your father has a S1 form, then he is covered by the NHS whilst in the UK.
He should take a copy of the form with him.

Except for repatriation to France. Remote possibility perhaps, but one to think about.

Hello! Jumping in on this thread I’m just about to get on the ferry and have realised that I’ve left my wallet behind which means some U.K. cards and my ceam card
I’m pretty sure I had a scanned copy of it somewhere, would a copy of the card be of any use? And I think you can even print it off from the sécu site…
I’ve also got CAF insurance through the ffcam should I have a sports accident.
Very careless but I decided I didn’t need my wallet over the last month and I must have stashed it in a drawer instead of my back and forth to U.K. bag…

Thank-you all. Good call with the S1…now can I find it😳 I’ve a vague idea so that’s a start. Also for the repatriation I checked and it is covered by the household insurance…strange.

Oops…imagine my case Dad’s not been to the UK since 2018 I guess…so getting him ready is a nice ordeal…

Well turns out all my important cards are in my little card pouch so just my useful U.K. card s and money that im missing… nothing I can’t cope without. Sorry for gate cragging your thread it was a late night ferry and long queues

1 Like

So my wallet was in England :joy:
It doesn’t matter how many notes I make living between two houses always trips me up somewhere!